Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Chain slack adjustment -- how loose is too loose?

2K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  s4strati 
#1 ·
According to http://www.ducatisuite.com/chain.html I should see a maximum of 25mm difference between sitting and tensioned?

What, besides driveline lash, are symptoms of a looser chain?

#2 ·
Re: Chain slack adjustment -- how loose is too loo

Can a loose chain cause shifting to become sloppy? I rode a friend's biek this weekend and he was a little over 1" in chain slack, and I noticed I missed shifts quite a few times on his bike and I was wondering if the two are related.

G
#3 ·

depending on how loose you're talking about, driveline lash could result in the chain "jumping" teeth on the sprockets which results in a real jerky effect.
that said, i'd much rather go a bit too loose than REMOTELY too tight.
i remember a buddy of mine did a sprocket swap before a group ride. fortunately, he took a "test ride" to zip around the block before we all set out. "what's that humming sound?" his chain was so tight it literally hummed. we reset the slack and had a great run ;)

#4 ·

He has roughly 1.25" of slack, probably closer to 30-35mm than the ducati 20-25 spec for the early model monsters

Can this have an ill effect on his shifting at all or are the two isolated?

#5 ·

Oh btw his is a 2000 m750 and compared to my 99 the shifting was alot harsher. Oil levels are fine just a difference in the chain slack...

G
#6 ·

snugging up the chain a touch wouldn't be a bad idea, but i don't think it'd make a huge difference in shift feel. not sure why it would be so different from the other model year's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.