·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monsters...

What kind of chain lube should I use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you seriously want to get high milage from your chain and sprockets get a scott oiler. I have got 35,000 km from my last set. Also even though I checked it all time for tension it never needs adjusting and never get's tight spots. It is like having a shaft drive I imagine. When I did not have the scott Oiler I was adjusting my chain every few days and the set only lasted 7,000 kms. I have now done a 525 convesion with a RK XW Ring chain and Chain Gang Sprockets, I am hoping to get 70,000 from this modification.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have about 20,000 mi. on my x-ring chain... was using [email protected] pro lube for the first 15K mi. but switched to Chain wax thereafter. chain still looks pretty good and the sprockets don't look ragged.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Maxima Chain Wax.

I finally got around to lubricating my chain after basically ignoring it for many hundreds of miles. I decided to spray the whole thing, then wipe off the excess. The chain wax had already solidified before I could get very far. It does not tend to fling off and doesn't collect as much dirt as other chain lubricants I've used. It's so much better than anything else I've used!

Next time, I'm cleaning with WD-40, THEN lubricating with the chain wax.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you seriously want to get high milage from your chain and sprockets get a scott oiler.
Cam,
where did you get the Scott Oiller from and how much?
btw, just got myself some Chain Gang sprockets, really need to get them on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cam,
where did you get the Scott Oiller from and how much?
btw, just got myself some Chain Gang sprockets, really need to get them on.

You should be able to get the universal kit from at any good motorcycle accessory shop in NSW. Check the website for Monster fitting instructions. www.scottoiler.com (They are in Scotland) I think I paid about AU$185.00 for the kit. I estimate it has saved me at least $1500.00 in chains and sprockets compared to the the milage I got from my first set. Also the bottle of oil I got with the kit has lasted 40,000 kms !

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have tried the following...

- Silkolene: messy & traps crap
- Honda Pro lube: pretty decent but traps crap
- Chain wax: great product (I use Maxima) - clean and functional

I haven't tried teflon yet... any comparisons b/t teflon and chain wax?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Teflon makes a nice white color so I can see where I put it...and how well it distributed, also it is quite sticky, it does not fly away at all,
and like someone said, it is good to put after some riding and then let it sit there some or make a small round just to get it all over the chain.
I find that very nice to use, BUT I have not paid it yet .... nice dealer I have ...

It recommends this in the user manual...

Skier

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Today I ordered a Z oiler, grunge brush, and Maxima chain wax. Does any one use a grunge brush to clean the chain? I also ordered a Scorpion rear stand, any one have one of these? I was going to order the Handy stand deal, the front and rear, for $99, but they had $ 22 shipping. The Scorpion was only $85 plus regular shipping for the entire order, no extra for the stand, total shipping was only $8.95

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am using parks bio chainbrite and penetrol....

i have heard a rumour that the non-fling kind of lube, that leaves the white or blueish color, was not penetrating the chain properly
and was creating excessive wear to o-rings and sprockets.
don't think it was brand related but rather the type of lube.
i say rumor as i have no data. but the local shop here, looking at chains and sprockets of bikes using this kind of lube tended to agree with that speculation. anyone have any info on that?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
chain wax - depends on the size can... the dealers (any dealer - including the Kawazuki dealers) have it - i think you can get it for $12 or so. get it local - by the time you add shipping, it's about the same price.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use Chain Wax... (Maxima I think..) The key is to apply it AFTER you get home from a ride, when the chain is still hot... this way in coats the chain well and is allowed to dry before your next ride..

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I use Chain Wax... (Maxima I think..) The key is to apply it AFTER you get home from a ride, when the chain is still hot... this way in coats the chain well and is allowed to dry before your next ride..
The oil penetrates better on a hot chain, but it doesn't matter if the chain is hot or cold, Maxima Chain Wax will set up within 15 minutes. I was using it to clean some gunk off of my chain, spraying it on, then wiping off whatever would come off. I made the mistake of spraying the whole chain rather than about eight inches at a time, and about ten minutes into the project, I couldn't get any more off with a rag. I had to switch to WD-40 for cleaning.

Just before the last big ride I went on, I remembered that it had been a few hundred miles since the last lube, so I sprayed the whole chain, then rode off 15 minutes later. I had no problems with it flinging off, even though the motorcycle had sat overnight before spraying it.

I had the bike serviced about a month ago and some other kind of chain lubricant was used. That stuff is now all over my rear wheel and swingarm.

Maxima Chain Wax rules!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I lubed the chain just before leaving on my trip to Michigan over the 4th of July with some BelRay stuff I had left over from who knows how long ago and quickly realized why it was left over. I need to go buy more chain wax. That Bel Ray stuff left some crazy-mad spooge all over the rear wheel, swing arm, sprockets, hugger, and anything close by! ;D What a MESS! Ruined two rags cleaning all the crap off the bike.

By the way, Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish is wonderful for cleaning stubborn stuff (like bugs, tar, spooge, etc) off of any vehicle - car or bike.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As soon as I got the Monster, I fitted a Scottoiler.Bloody great.
Got the sports kit, small, hides behing side panel, holds plenty.
Not messy, I highly recommend it,no need for a centre stand really.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
most all the o-ring/x-ring chains out there have moly base grease between the pins and rollers. so as long as the o-rings are intact they keep the lube in and dirt out. the key thing to do is to keep your chain clean. adding waxes and lubes to a dirty chain is a waste of time. so that means to wipe it down after every ride. it helps to do so while it's still warm. manufacturers suggest to use kerosene to clean the chain but i usually just use wd-40. kerosene is fairly benign to the rubber o-rings and won't damage them. i've never really had a problem with wd-40 though. after cleaning then either apply oil or chain wax. oil tends to fling off more than the waxes do. either provide a seal/lube for the o-rings while helping the plates and pins resist corrosion/rust. be sure to wipe off excess after cleaning to prevent fling off and providing a nice dirt retaining media. i usualy use old rags for cleaning - brushes can be bad for the o-rings. again it is best to clean and apply lubes directly after riding while the chain is warm.

here's link that'll tell you all you ever wanted to know about chains

http://www.ustsubaki.com/chainguide.html

1 - 20 of 45 Posts