Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
good job chris! pretty much what i have and use...i do cheat if real dirty and clean with w/d 40, but i do a soap and water wash, dry, then maxima chain wax.

i live in coastal florida and probably deal with more sand mixin with the wax than my west coast bros.

S

·
0 Posts
take note that the chainwax applies more effectively if the chain is warm. for example, _after_ going for a ride.

S

·
0 Posts
What else can you use besides WD-40 to clean the chain? In other words, is there something that is "better". I've never been a fan of WD-40 for anything.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

M

·
0 Posts
kerosene... is what the most of the manufacturers recommend if they aren't pimping their own special lube.

S

·
0 Posts
Is it safe to assume this will not damage the o-rings in the chain?

kerosene... is what the most of the manufacturers recommend if they aren't pimping their own special lube.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
DON"T spray WD-40 directly on the chain - it will ruin the chain because it will dissolve all the grease inside the rollers.

if you do use it, spray it on a rag and wipe the chain -

M

·
0 Posts
i'm having a hard time following that logic daffe... the o-rings keep lube in and dirt out. i don't understand how wd40 would degrade the lube if it's not supposed to get past the o-rings in the first place? i've gotten in excess of 20,000 on a chain cleaning it with wd40 and wiping it down with maxima chain wax.

M

·
0 Posts
Daffe is right, WD is a penitrating oil. I've been using Simple Green and a scrub brush, no oily mess on your garage floor or driveway, residue just washes away with garden hose. I then coat with maxima chain wax. Did 8000+ miles on my 1200 Bandit with no noticeable wear to chain or sprockets! only one adjustment at around 6K.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
i have 1st hand exp. with WD40... cleaned the chain on a Gixxer 1x with WD40 - soaked it, etc - after that, the chain seemed to "grind" (like it didn't have the smoothness).... then after that, had problems with "tight spots" where the chain just got really stiff and the links wouldn't move back and forth. chain ended up breaking on a ride to work one day after that (several months later).

M

·
0 Posts
i have 1st hand exp. with WD40... cleaned the chain on a Gixxer 1x with WD40 - soaked it, etc -
okay i've never let the wd-40 soak on a chain... i can see how that wouldn't be good. i just spray it on and wipe like i do the chain wax, but i don't soak it. don't do that. it's baaaaud, mmmmkay.

most o-ring chain manufacturers don't recommend using brushes to clean their chains. they're concerned the bristles will either damage or displace the o-rings... i have no idea how soft your bristles are or whether it's even a factor in your case mash. obviously it's holding up alright for you so far.

simple green is a wonderful degreaser... but keep in mind rubber ain't listed as a compatable on the back. i've seen simple green do some weird stuff to parts. i never have any spots on the garage floor to clean up after wiping down my chain anyway... usually the rag is filthy though. ;D guess you use what works.

i think the key to long chain life is to keep it clean...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did this today, following your simple instructions. I don't think my chain was ever cleaned/waxed... I bought it with 2300 miles already on it and have put about 400 on myself.

Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
although WD40 is considered "use with caution" on the chain, you can use it to clean the road spooge off the underside of the engine casing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey sports fans.
I have been using Oil Eater to clean chains for about 2 years now. I haven't noticed any negative effects on my chain which has over 9K on it. My mechanic adjusted when he did 6K service and said my sprockets and chain looked real good.
This stuff is great for other cleaning too. No petro solvents cleans engine spooge really well. You can even use it in your laundry and on carpets! I'm starting to sound like a salesman but I really like this stuff.
You can get it at Costco or online, haven't seen it anywhere else.
Read about it here: http://www.oileater.com/

Ciao

1 - 20 of 21 Posts