Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the latest info on these rotors (I *think* they're ceramic). They came out a little over a year ago in small quanties & then they stopped making them to correct some problems, but I never heard if they went back into full production or not & if so, what's the latest on pricing & performance?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think you've got the scenario pretty much correct.

I *think* foggy123 over on 'zilla has a single unit on his S4foggy.

The price had gone up a fair bit, here's the latest at MotoWheels

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think they are made from Boron Carbide-Aluminum ceramic.
Light and very heat resistant.
This composite is starting to be used in aircraft brakes...it is much cheaper than carbon carbon composite and has a lower landing cycle cost than conventional steel brakes.
Works very well when very hot.
Just don't hit them with a hammer...they are ceramic.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Rick (foggy123) has one, but I think that was before the manfacturing moritorium. I was hoping to find more people with them - both racing & street. I see the price has gone from REALLY expensive to super duper expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Norm said:
I know Rick (foggy123) has one, but I think that was before the manfacturing moritorium. I was hoping to find more people with them - both racing & street. I see the price has gone from REALLY expensive to super duper expensive.
There isn't a manufacturing moritorium anymore... There were DTV issues but upon QA, they were able to pull good parts out of the batches. I recall Jeff saying the people actually manufacturing the rotors raised the price significantly due to the QA requirements. I would assume then that Brake Tech isn't in a hurry to buy them. I believe Jeff was marketing them to race teams hoping they'd step up with some orders. :-\

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
We sold about about a dozen sets of the CMC rotors. Some of them had some feedback to the levers at slow speeds due to manufacturing inconsistencies---but most said it was very minor and kept them.
Our tech has a set on his R1. He loves them.

I heard they solved the problem with very expensive resins.

We recently came across some Metal Matrix rotors that weigh a few ounces (2 lbs each) more but cost about half the price ($1100 pair/with pads). We are picking up a quantity of them to fill the orders for people that wanted CMC rotors but could not wait.

We are doing a group buy with another forum. They are still pricey but will save you about 3 lbs of rotational weight and have a higher coefficient of friction than iron rotors.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
moto said:
We recently came across some Metal Matrix rotors that weigh a few ounces (2 lbs each) more but cost about half the price ($1100 pair/with pads). We are picking up a quantity of them to fill the orders for people that wanted CMC rotors but could not wait.
[thumbsup]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I worked in the engineering ceramics field for several years.
Here is a good summary article about ceramic rotors.
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=518
It should be possible to make a B4C-Al rotor for about $200 if a manufacturer did it in volume.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Holy bejeezus can any rotor possibly be worth that much?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Norm,
One of the publications here in the UK recently did a A/B test on these rotors, where stopping distances were compared from various speeds. I seem to recollect that the OEM set up was marginally better than the ceramic discs in these tests but the ceramics were much more fade resistant.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Holy bejeezus can any rotor possibly be worth that much?
They're cheaper than an OEM Tank... :-\

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the publications here in the UK recently did a A/B test on these rotors
Chupa's got it. It was BIKE, Dec. 2006, pages 18 and 19. Final paragraph:

"Verdict: The biggest difference is the wasy the light CMC discs make the R1 faster through a 70 mph flick-flak chicane (we will measure this next month) On pure braking, the CMC discs let the rider brake further into the corners and they cool down after repeated braking more quickly. Seven minutes after the fade test, the stock discs were so hot they could brand a cow, while the ceramics are cool to the touch.

But the R1's steel discs get the best deceleration figure - 1.02G - athough they fade on what is a pretty extreme test.

Fade is the CMC discs' biggest issue, although BrakeTech say they have solved it with a new generation of pads (unavailable in time to retest, We'll try them next month) On the basis of our test, the CMC discs had ultimate street cred, and offer steering and suspension benefits, but in terms of braking they're only as good as the stock discs. Which is, admittedly, pretty bloody good."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts