Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone installed a Ducati center stand to their Monster? If so I'd appreciate any help as to location of spacers etc. I bought the kit...no instructions, not even a sketch. Any help gratefully recieved...like photo's
Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
bobbydog: I recently had my dealer put a centerstand on my S4. I am currently out of town on business, but if you send me your email address, I'll snap some e-photos Friday and email them to you.

My photos should be able to help you, as I have both the Termi high pipes and now CyceCat rearsets, so there is better visibility of the mount points than there is on a stock setup.

Note that my dealer's mechanic had to grind down one spacer (same type of spacer as used to mount the footpeg assemblies), since the exhaust and the centerstand share one of the mounting holes on the engine case.

Jim G
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I honestly don't see the benefit of a centerstand... is it really THAT much more stable. To me it just looks crazy, and weighs a ton. I'm not trying to burn anyone with a centerstand, but is there something I'm missing here?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Adam: Yes, there are significant reasons why some of us favor having a centerstand, despite the massive 5.7lb weight penalty:

- You can clean and lube the rear chain a LOT more easily and a lot BETTER

- You can check air pressure a lot easier

- You can check oil level and water level (S4) much more easily and with no chance of dropping the bike while you try to hold it level manually while simultaneously leaning over to see the oil and water levels

- You can change a tire a lot easier, even in your garage

- You can remove a rear wheel on the side of the road to take a flat tire in for repair (try THAT on a sidestand!)

- By using the centerstand as a pivot point (putting weight on the seat over the rear wheel), you can also lift the FRONT wheel for service

- You can wash both the rear wheel and the front wheel a LOT more easily and COMPLETELY when you can rotate them easily and with no hassle

- On a hill, a centerstand is almost always much more stable than a sidestand

- When the bike is stored upright for long periods rather than leaned over, it often means you retain a coating of oil throughout the engine innards instead of it running over to the low side

- In a narrow 2 car garage, a bike being parked along one side on a centerstand requires MUCH less width than one on a side stand (check it out using a bike that has both)

- You can get more fuel into the tank when the bike is vertical while filling it, thus increasing your range, AND gas doesn't dribble out the overflow as it can when the tank is full and the bike is on the sidestand

- It's only my personal opinion, but I happen to think a bike looks MUCH better when parked on a centerstand than when parked on a sidestand. The professional photographers apparently also agree with me; if you check it out, you will see that whenever there is a centerstand available, they pose the bike on it rather than on the sidestand. A rear wheel stand is the number 2 choice.

Although some people like a rear wheel stand or a front wheel stand, or combination, many of the advantages above DO NOT apply to them since they don't go everywhere WITH the bike (read the list again and imagine needing the stand when you are not at home!).

Hope this helps explain why some of us are ADAMANT about having a centerstand.

I've been riding 36 years and have owned over 30 motorcycles. There have been things I've learned along the way, sometimes unpleasantly.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Good answer Jim. I have a stand on my 900 and they are gold! I cut the actuating arm off to keep the ground clearance and it is still easy to use. Unless you've got your Monster down to 140kgs wet I don't think the weight is going to feature too much.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Alright, I'm sold! ;D

Thank you for the thorough explanation, as well as the clever wordplay (adamant).

One question though... a buddy of mine has a centerstand on his little '71 250 honda, and I have a tough time getting that on and off the stand... are modern stands designed better, easier to use? I haven't had a chance to see/try one on monster.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
They're easy to use. Just a bit of technique is involved. Push down with your foot at the same time as lifting. It also helps to turn the bars onto full lock to swing the bike onto the stand. Happy days!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut the actuating arm off to keep the ground clearance and it is still easy to use.
Bing, with the actuating arm off and nothing to push down with you foot, care to share your secret technique? I was thinking practicing from the right side before I cut the arm off, but not sure where to start.

Adam, centerstand IS that much more stable than the side stand. I actually took off the worthless side stand. I'm not using mio rosso mostro on the track, but I do use it as my daily transportation, therefore all practicul reasons JimG listed are very important to me. Frankly, if I used my Monster for track days I wouldn't have any stand attached on my bike.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Adam: Centerstands DO vary a lot in terms of ease or difficulty of use.

I am happy to report that the Ducati one is perhaps the easiest one I have ever used.

One of the reasons for this is that it lifts the bike only a small vertical distance compared to some others. The other reason is that the stand is positioned so that a relatively large percentage of weight is still left on the front wheel, so you are "lifting" a smaller percentage of the total bike weight.

As centerstands go, this one abolutely ROCKS.

(Forgive the exuberance).

Jim G

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ride a Monster and an ST4s so I basically use centre stand and side stand. Centrestand IS unfortunately heavy and uggly but offers stability needed for a heavy and loaded bike. The only occasion I use centre stand on the ST4s is when it has side panniers on because fully loaded it really needs the stability. Otherwise side stand because it

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
while i'll agree with the fact that the centerstand is much better than the kickstand for parking and such, all the other reasons you stated for having the centerstand could just as easily be remedied with a rear stand.
most of the people were complaining about how much their bike weighs in the "cabon fiber taboo" thread so which is it? lighter and more performance out of your monster, or stability at the cost of cornering clearance and poundage?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
while i'll agree with the fact that the centerstand is much better than the kickstand for parking and such, all the other reasons you stated for having the centerstand could just as easily be remedied with a rear stand.
worth reading Jim G 's quote again:

Although some people like a rear wheel stand or a front wheel stand, or combination, many of the advantages above DO NOT apply to them since they don't go everywhere WITH the bike (read the list again and imagine needing the stand when you are not at home!).

Hope this helps explain why some of us are ADAMANT about having a centerstand.

I've been riding 36 years and have owned over 30 motorcycles. There have been things I've learned along the way, sometimes unpleasantly.

Jim G

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I had one on my last two bikes...

and will probably add one to the Monster. I feel lost without it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Mine rusted in place.

Bought a paddock stand (Pit Bull) so I could take it off.

Once it was off, I gave it away.

I haven't missed it. Other than a roadside flat, I frankly can't imagine needing it. I don't lube my chain except at home. Same with washing my wheels. I manage fine with airing the tires. I straddle my bike when gassing to keep it upright.

Bottom line: it depends on how you use your bike. Mine has not been used for anything more than day trips so "away from home" maintenance is pretty much nonexistent.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I had no idea this is such a sensitive and emotional topic!

Hey, it's just a centerstand.

Either you want one, and will take the weight and cornering clearance penalty, or you don't appreciate it and don't want it.

Makes me very cautious about even mentioning things like wet vs dry clutches, mini-fairings or bare, Termi vs "other" exhausts, and other hot button issues.

Remember what makes a Monster special? It's just about the only non-Harley motorcycle that you can personalize to your heart's content and not be "wrong" in anything you do to it.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
When I cut off the actuating arm I left the triangular piece where it protrudes. I can still slip my foot onto that piece. I turn the bars to full lock, step on the triangle and lift with the grab rail under the seat. Not as easy as using the arm but not too hard for a little chap like myself. Plus nothing drags (though I haven't been to the track for a while and if the triangular piece drags off it comes too).

As for the weight debate - if a centre stand stops you getting on the throttle early (clearance issues aside) or driving hard or turning quickly that's news to me. Funny how you can still ride fast with luggage on the back. If a couple of pounds is an issue - take a dump.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've ridden monsters and st's with and without. you cant feel a difference in weight! convenience and stability are the main idea. all my daily drivers have had them and once you get used to having one, it really sucks not having one. if anyone has had to pick their bike up off the ground because the pavement got too hot or the bike HAD to sit outside in a windy thuderstorm, it is worth whatever penalty in weight. now if the bike makes its way to the track regularly, that is a whole different ball game. that thing would be a real pain to remove and install for a track day!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest - the dude is right. The weight difference is not noticable. I doubt whether thats about the weight, as little as replacing stuff with CF or titanium counterparts is about weight ;) (no matter how much people argue it is).

However a Monster is a compact and light bike (at least my 900 is) and centre stand feels like massive overkill for such a light and already small bike. I am sure that if the asphalt gets to hot the bike might fall - centre stand or not. I

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1bobbydog actually was looking for instructions how to install a centerstand, not a pro or con debate. I had it installed at the dealer, so I'm no help, sorry.

Bing, you rock! Thanks for posting the picture. Very tempting mod. Cheers!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pete, I just received my centerstand kit from European Cycle in CA and it didn't have any instructions either. I have all the parts laid out on my workbench and am also a bit lost. If you should find anybody who has a diagram or pics for the installation, could you please let me know. I have a 1999 Monster 900. thanks
MotoMel
???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts