Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder, although I know we all take good care of our bikes, check your cam belt tension if you have not lately.
I checked over my bike while warming it up this morning and the cam belt on the vertical cylinder was WAY too loose. I checked them not too long ago so either it stretched or the tensioner slipped. This could have cost me alot of $$$
It is easy for me to check cause I dont run with covers but for all you covered folks maybe its time for a look. Pull the covers off and let the bike idle, look for excessive vibration from the belt. Mine was floppin around like a fish out of water.
Just thought Id post a reminder.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didnt have time to check my service manual but I tightened it so that it will come about 1/8 inch off the stationary tensioning bearing with moderate pressure. The belt was moving almost 1/4 inch back and forth when I first checked it and the tensioner bearings were so loose that they were not even spinning consistantly. Now they are nice and smooth but not too tight. I will post the correct tension when I get home from work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The correct tension will seem pretty loose. Have to have room for all that aluminum to expand as it warms up. The trick is to tighten it so that a 5mm allen wrench just passes between the tensioner and the belt. If the belt is too tight the strands inside will break and cause catastrophic failure (see valve imbedded in piston). Here's an article http://www.ducatisuite.com/belttension

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thats how tihght I put them, 1/8inch-5mm allen same size.

T

·
0 Posts
Nope, check again 1/8 is only 3.175MM, which is too tight.
Respectfully,
Mike

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
besides Tozco's conversion being correct, you need the allen key to feel the drag. there should be some drag, but it should be minimal. untill you get the feel, it's not a bad idea to use a 4 and 6 mm as well. the 4 should be loose and the 6 should be tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts