Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 M900 with about 23K on it. Not mine...just borrowed. I've been riding this bike around for a couple of days and have noticed a coupe of things, which may or may not be related.

1. I experience a "knocking" in the right footpeg when I go over bumps and sometimes just as I'm riding on the freeway or shifting. I checked the rearsets and they're on solidly. It almost feels like something from the engine/transmission is translating into my foot. The shifting on this bike is generally smooth, but there's something off with the clutch. The owner knows this and hasn't addressed it yet. It's probably unrelated, but I thought I'd bring it up to put things into context. The clutch problem is old, the knocking problem is relatively recent.

2. The engine surges and lugs at a idle. It does it slightly under load at speed, but it's mostly noticable when I'm sitting at a stoplight. You can hear the idle speed up and down slightly. When the engine is cold, it dies during the lull. It's got an aftermarket pipe on it--Silmoto--which I've heard is difficult to tune. A professional shop with a good reputation did their best...this was a few weeks ago. The knocking in the footpeg started not too long after that according to the owner.

Just fishing for ideas here guys...Don't know if these things are related, as often in my experience, multiple problems arise simultaneously that have nothing to do with one another. Your input is appreciated.

Cheers,
'Belle

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
My M900 does the same thing, I found the rearset (aftermarket) is hitting the high mount exhaust (Arrow) I have to readjust everything to make clearance

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maaaaaaybe...

I am aware a wear mark on the passenger peg (stock) from the highmount pipe (aftermarket.) However, I've ridden pillion on this bike, and didn't notice the knocking in the pegs then--it's only since I've been the pilot that I feel the funkiness in the peg. The suspension was adjusted for the owner the last time it was in the shop--that was a few weeks ago, when the other work was done. He's about 80 lbs. heavier than me. We both feel the knocking in the peg exactly the same. It's gentle, but noticeable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts