Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way home from work yesterday evening. I was turning left onto a 3 lane, 1 way road. There was a black car going the wrong way coming down the lane I was turning into. I swerved hard to the right, missing the black car. I am now leaned far over to the right to avoid going through a windshield. I couldn't get back over to make a left and head down the street. By this time I was <5' from rear ending a parked Corolla. I really didn't want to go head first into the rear window, So I laid the bike down right as it slid under the Corolla's right rear bumper. Bike got wedged under there.

From the location of the crash, I came off the bike at about 2 o'clock and rolled in the grass that seperated the sidewalk from the curb. Got up, checked myself and everything's good to go. I was wearing a leather jacket, helmet, gloves, A* boots, and First Gear commuter pants with extra knee protection. All is fine. Helmet didn't make contact with the ground. Pants and backpack are muddy and grassy. All gear did wonders to protect me. The inside of my left shin's got a small bruise and the inside of my left thigh's a little sore. I couldn't pull the bike out from under the Corolla. I called a fellow CAMer to give me a hand. After ~10 minutes, the owner of the Corolla came out of the house across the street and she moved her car 2' fwd and I didn't have to drag my bike out from under her car. She's got a dent in right, rear, lower bumper ad her muffler broke off the mount.

As I got up from my acrobatic roll, the black car was gone. I think it turned down the street I came from and dissapeared. I dunno if she (yes, it was a female. I looked her in the eyes) even knows she caused an accident. No one saw her or caught a plate or anything. So, I'm SoL and eating my insurance deductible. Police came and info was exchanged. Right now, the bike's in the shop getting the estimate and once-over.

Damage:
Right side of plastic tank scraped down to the bare plastic. Fairing's scratched and dinged. Front fender's scratched up. Front wheel's got about 2" spot ground down through the paint to bare metal. Stock cans and shield are scratched up. Cans are now sitting < .5" from the rear tire. Rear tire's got a small dig that goes all the way around. Bar-ends scratched up. Both lefers screwed (1 goes in, 1 goes out). Scratched heel guard and right peg.Front wheel is off canter and rubs something during rotation. Bars are prolly bent. Mirrors are gone.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Damn Pokey, that sucks! :mad: Really glad you came out of it ok though.

Tanya

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yeah i arrived at his house an hour +1 later for dinner to fine a wounded Duc out front - but a whole rider... that's awlays a good thing.

So we still have a 'poke ;D Just a little slower right now.

I'm already filling his head with new paint ideas...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Won't know what I need till tomorrow.

There are obvious things as listed form what I could see. I got a bunch of pics as well. But, they're too large and I haven't figured out how to resize and fix them using my new Mac. So, they'll be a while...

Depending on how bad and the such, I figure I'll use this opportunity to mod and upgrade bits and pieces for the S2R. It's unknown ifthey'll total it. From a friend's dealing with the same insurance company, he says they total if the repairs reach 75% of total value.

So, I'll know more in a couple days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Damn!

Glad your alright, darlin....

I really wish that women who can't drive would quit giving those of us who can a bad name...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
"black car"

that nobody saw

Sure ::)

More likely story

Cute girl was walking down sidewalk + parked car=pokey crash

Kidding

glad you are in one piece mang

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cookie said:
Glad you're okay, Scott.  We'll see you soon, good thing demo day's coming up!
You go out and look at the bike?

Ohh, nd I didn't get my espresso when I came in... What's that about?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Perhaps Cookie'll borrow your scuffed can and get to work making that Duc-spesso machine I noodled though.

If you can't ride, just have a lot of caffeen. The nervous twitchs will remind you of the vibration from the bike ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Hate to say it, but from the sounds of the damage, the ins. co. is probably gonna total it. The cans alone retail for over 1k. If the front wheel rubs something it could either be bent forks or bent axle. Either would be pricey to fix. Just think, a few weeks ago you were thinking about selling it. When my ins co wanted to total mine, they were gonna give me about 500 less than I paid for it. They really hold their value, at least in this area...

As I said yesterday, glad you're ok!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
from what you told me i was thinking the bike was stuck lengthwise under the car.

i'm still glad you're ok, but i do tend to agree with mother on this one [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
damn!
thats freaking bummer......

i'm glad ur ok thought...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts