Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know to be careful selling parts on eBay. I recently purchased an exhaust to replace the stock cans on my 620. When I tried to install them, they did not fit so I put them on eBay.

They sold and I received the money through PayPal. Two days after I sent the exhaust, my money was removed from my PayPal account because, as I was later informed, the buyer had made the purchase with a fraudulent PayPal account. Ebay and PayPal both told me there was nothing they could do, so basically I'm out the exhaust and the money. Time to start saving again.

So be careful. Make sure you are selling to someone with a long eBay history.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Stuff like this pisses me off. Even when you buy or sell from people with great feedback, issues take several weeks to resolve and you almost always end up short a chunk of change. I don't use ebay as often anymore. Please post or pm item# so we can block the user.

This is BS, PayPal should be out of the money not you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This happened about a month ago and last time I checked I couldn't even get to the listing. I guess eBay removes evidence pretty fast.

·
Registered
286 Posts
buying parts on ebay is just as bad, 50% of what i buy there is useless
because of fradualent descriptions and the return shipping you have to
pay, so sometimes you just get stuck, and paypal does not refund any shipping.

only the new stuff i buy on ebay is any good, anything used is usually worn out junk, even
if the decripting sez 'like new' or excellent condition.

i find direct, like here is a better source to buy and sell...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
ntula said:
buying parts on ebay is just as bad, 50% of what i buy there is useless
because of fradualent descriptions and the return shipping you have to
pay, so sometimes you just get stuck, and paypal does not refund any shipping.

only the new stuff i buy on ebay is any good, anything used is usually worn out junk, even
if the decripting sez 'like new' or excellent condition.

i find direct, like here is a better source to buy and sell...
if you pay using a paypal account attached to your checking, you get the buyer protection plan for free. This means that if you are not happy with what you got, and they obviously lied about the discription, you can get 100% of the money back.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its just too bad that people have to be so shady, At this point it is hard for me to deal with people that have less then 100% feedback and have not been with ebay for a while. Sometimes I really wonder how much ebay actually cares about the people who use that site. Its just too bad.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How did you 'send' the parts? If you sent via US Postal Service, that would be considered mail fraud, which is a felony offense, and you just so happen to have the offenders home or other address that allows them to track him/her down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just happen to me. I bought a power commander that was listed as "Power Commander III for the Ducati Monster S2R 800" come to find out it is for a 800 s I.E.
I have emailed the person that I bought it from but have not heard back yet. :'(

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
i use e-bay, as most people on line do, and i don't have 100% pos feedback. there are dickheads that like screwing people around and as a seller, if you get one of these as a winning bidder the outcome is often negative feedback and a bad taste. as a seller, my advice would be to remove your cash from paypal before goods are despached. as a buyer i would suggest placing more scrutiny on what you are buying rather than the profile of who you are buying from. in the end though that site runs on an element of trust, it's just a shame that e-bay and paypal themselves don't have profiles and feedback scores.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just happen to me. I bought a power commander that was listed as "Power Commander III for the Ducati Monster S2R 800" come to find out it is for a 800 s I.E.
I have emailed the person that I bought it from but have not heard back yet
It did not happen to me. I got information back from Power Commander and it should work with my bike with the correct map.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I've sold over 2000 items costing 200-500 each, few over 3 grand, and bought countless stuff on my 4 ebay accounts. So far, no fraud, no bad experience, 100% feedbacks both ways.

As a buyer, check descriptions carefully. Ask for pictures, ask bunch of questions. If they are too poor or too dumb or lazy to send you more pictures, skip the deal. Check the feedback. Buy from a powerseller. Even then, check to see the item they are selling is a common thing they are selling. If they sell used t-shirts, and suddenly there's some $2000 Ducati up for sale, the account was probably hacked. And if you pay, pay with credit card via Paypal. That way, you can dispute with your cc company.

As a seller, ship to confirmed addresses only. Make sure the account is verified, and the address you ship to is as well. No exceptions. I've lost probably 4% of my sales due to that. But I could care less. Instead of lossing $200-$500 on a product of my, I'll just re-list for free and sell it few days later.

Just some minor tips.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I've bought and sold a lot on ebay. I've gotten some good deals and sold things I don't need for decent money. Out of hundreds of transactions, I've had three bad experiences. Two of them I reported to paypal. One of them, which was a while back, paypal did nothing for me. The second one, which was last summer, paypal got all my money back from a seller who misrepresented the parts I bought from him. That seller had extensive feedback, but was very shady.

Ebay is a great resource, but you should always be cautious, just as you would with anything online, especially when it involves money. That said, I'm very sorry to hear about you getting ripped-off. It's not the first time I've heard of someone getting stiffed like that. Whenever I sell something for a lot of money, I always transfer the funds to my bank account immediately due to stories I've heard like yours.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Always call the seller before bidding. You can learn a lot by talking to someone for a few minutes that isn't apparent from text on an auction page...

I've had only positive experiences with ebay, but I've decided not to bid on certain things if I can't talk to people or if they sound like numbnuts when asking them some questions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
wakaba said:
if you pay using a paypal account attached to your checking, you get the buyer protection plan for free. This means that if you are not happy with what you got, and they obviously lied about the discription, you can get 100% of the money back.
i have had that happen, paypal said they do not refund shipping and i have to pay for the return shipping.. this actually violates california consumer frauds laws.. when i complained.. paypal told me if i did not like their service i was free to cancel my account. worse is when you buy something from overseas and it turns bad.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I am relatively new to eBay. No problems so far. I love the premise of free trade, but shady elements of course are there too, and that is very unfortunate. PayPal needs to do a better job of protecting their clients and have more thorough system for checking applicants. Perhaps they can require a "good faith" deposit of some sort.

·
Registered
286 Posts
not to sound ethnocentric, but in particular, 50% of anything i buy from GB is a scam of some sort. completely screwed here.
even visa has difficulties with foreign banks, so recovery is difficult or imposible. i would only buy from an established reputable merchant with an overseas transaction now.

i have not had any problems with ducati parts except that some of the milled itmes may be a little off, but at most 1mm that can be easily filed off and is not noticeable and some worn out items that were listed as in new condition pulled from new bikes.. i was quickly refunded in the latter case.

i have had a lot of problems with parts for my ZX10.4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
8)I am new on here,but I decided to join after reading this thread.I have bought and sold thousands on ebay.I have had 1 ripoff,(england)and,I got my money back from paypal.You must ask lots of questions,ask for contact phone.I have gotten great deals that I could find nowhere else,and picked up some A-1 contacts along the way.Rip offs are every where,you have to be cautious,if it sounds bogus at all,just dont bid.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
That makes no sense -- if the PayPal account was fraudulent, they should eat it.

Did you send it to a "verified address?" If not, I guess you are shafted. They make it clear that you have to send it to a verified address or no protecetion.

but they ALLOW you to send it to any address, which is BS>

·
Registered
15 Posts
E-bay offers buyer Protection,I have used it,and gotten money back.Yes,ebay wants you to send to a verified address,If it is not verified,WHY?If and when you buy anything,do you give the other party money,without knowing where he lives,or does buissness?There are ripp offs every where,You have to be aware enough,to weed them out.Do not send money to unverified address,see if the seller will take part back if not as described.If he ,or she does not have a verified address,will not take back,or has questionable feedback,just skip deal.Welcome to America.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts