Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

still deliberating over a titanium or carbon system for my grey and black S2R1000.

I live in a very hot country.

I prefer the look of the Titanium system (cans).

I know they come with DB killers - whihc might come in handy.

I beleive the carbon system is significantly cooler - which might also come in handy given ambient temperature here is about 33 degrees with high humidity and the engine temp gets up to around 140+ degrees C in traffic conditions.

When running on the open road - it's around 115 degrees.

Any technical reasons why a carbon system may be better in these conditions?

Will the cans be significantly cooler?

And finally - can i fit a set of DB killers to the carbon silencers? I know the arrow site says that only the titanium ones come with inserts.

- Any guidance welcome...

Thanks a lot.

- Oh - a final point, but I think I know the answer - will adding a K&N filter without an ECU to a full system require a retune, remap or ECU to get the bike running right? I think if we add more air, we need to add more fuel too right? BUt if we just let the gases escape quicker (system), then we don;t need to necessarily do anything else to make it run right, no?

Horsepower is not the objective, just sound, aesthetics and a good running engine.

Cheers!!!

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
from what i know, the carbon simply does not conduct heat as well as metal, so it will not burn your hands when you touch it. it does not run cooler, it just does not transmitt the heat that goes through it.

can material will not effect engine temps except minutely, and in this case i think the metal can would be better for cooling the engine.

consider adding a 2nd oil cooler, it's said that doing so can lower average engine temp by 15%

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I have the Ti cans and a friend of mine with the same bike had the carbon. With the baffles out they sound exactly the same. Arrow used to sell the carbon cans with baffles and then they stopped. So, there is a reason. I think it was the cans bulging with the baffles in. As for the heat issue, the Ti cans get warm but don't require a heat shield. I don't know how they compare to the carbon cans. The outside temp and engine temp really won't affect the temp of the cans. Your mixture and any air leaks in the system will have a far greater affect. Conversely, the cans won't affect your engine temp either. So, unless you are riding on the passenger seat while wearing a bikini or like to kiss your mufflers after a ride, I don't think the temp of the cans is an issue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm going to install my Ti exhaust this weekend, will let you know what I think.

Ken

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I dont have Arrow but I have Ti cans. I can say after an agressive ride I can put my hands firmly on the exhaust and they are just warm to the touch. The rest of the pipes to the headers are sizzling hot though.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
nitrod86gt said:
well the complaint i have is the finish on the Arrow cans overtime really starts clouding on the carbon...thats what ours did
Titanium cans will definately hide their age better than carbon fiber IMO. I had Akra ti's on my KTM 950 and a simple wipe down (as recommended by Akra) with WD-40 was all it took to keep them looking new.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys - thanks for the responses and overall great inputs.

So sounds like the temp of engine/oil is not really impacted by the can material - and the titanium ones warm up more than the carbon - but will be a lot cooler than stock and burning should not be an issue.

On top of that - I like the look of the titanium - and it might hold up better than the carby - so titan it is!!!

Well done and thanks.

(sounds like I just convinced myself [laugh] [thumbsup])

Hey - any tips on the air filter question? - my hunch is it will screw things up without a proper ECU replacement.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
GraGra said:
Hey - any tips on the air filter question? - my hunch is it will screw things up without a proper ECU replacement.
I think that depends on the model but Im running a K&N filter with a drilled lid on my 695 w/exhaust and havent done any ECU tweaking. Dyno results show Im no more or less lean than stock so Im happy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sieg said:
Titanium cans will definately hide their age better than carbon fiber IMO. I had Akra ti's on my KTM 950 and a simple wipe down (as recommended by Akra) with WD-40 was all it took to keep them looking new.
wow! really? wd40? i woulda never thought of that!! im gonna try it on hers!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts