Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an older carbon hugger I'm trying to spiff up for my 900. But it looks like I might need to send it away... Around the sides the coating is all the way down to the fiber. IE, if you hold it at the right angle, you can see a evenly spaced dull speckle effect.

None of the fiber is damaged or spalling. Could this dulling/speckling effect be solved by taking it to a paint shop and having them hit it with some clear.

Or am I looking at a potentially ruined piece if they cut into the fiber while doing a prep sand?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but is the speckling actually damage to the underside of the hugger? My rear hugger was in pretty decent shape, although it had started to yellow so I removed it intending to sand and re-clear it. When I looked at it in the light I found dozens of pinhead sized chips in the underside what were allowing light through. My guess is that rocks flying off the rear tire were ricocheting around between the tire and underside of the hugger and causing these tiny chips in the material. You couldn't see the tiny holes when the hugger was mounted - only when it was removed and held up to the light. Weird.

Anyway, the outer side of my hugger was intact so I just wet sanded it with 400 grit to get rid of the yellowing, cleaned the underside really well, and cleared both sides to seal it.

If the fibers were showing you'd have to epoxy the area to re-seal it and prevent further damage, but since no fibers are showing I'd just carefully sand the outside and then reclear both sides.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know the pin holes you speak of. Thos are usually fromt little air bubbles in the expoie. But what I'm talking about isn't that. It's on the finished side, out towards the side where the material is thinnest, and probably had the least resins.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
yuu said:
i know the pin holes you speak of. Thos are usually fromt little air bubbles in the expoie. But what I'm talking about isn't that. It's on the finished side, out towards the side where the material is thinnest, and probably had the least resins.
Ahhh sorry. I misread your post.

It was my experience with wet sanding my fender and hugger that 400 grit hardly cuts into the carbon at all if you're careful. It took a lot of sanding to make much impact on the surface of the CF. That said I wouldn't want to be the guy to blame if sanding caused you problems. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I think what you're seeing is the weave. It can be cleared. It will probably take a couple of applications and sandings to get it nice. I have never had much luck getting the yellow to go away.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like it. Remarkably it's not yellowed... or only a tiny bit. It's not the gold that some get to be.

Guess I'll stop by the paint shop round the corner to see what they say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts