Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there done a carbon canister removal mod? I'm looking to clean up the area under the seat and everything I've found so far shows that removing the canister does nothing to function or performance. I was also curious about where to run the old lines once it is removed. Any ideas?!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Well, its only for looks, thats the only reason why people do it.
The lines (hoses) from the tank you keep. They are used for venting gas fumes, and you can either run them down, or cut them a bit. The lines from the intake manifold which split into a "T" you can remove but have to plug the holes.

Check out these links:

http://www.starwind-hawking.com/mlab/HTML/Monster_ph1.html

There's also a kit thats overpriced but functional.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7901091597&category=34284&sspagename=WDVW

If you need more info on installation let me know or send me a PM.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Well, its only for looks, thats the only reason why people do it.
It's not only for looks. It will shed a little bit of weight off of your bike and if you install a high mount exhaust system, it needs to come off so the right s pipe will fit.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Dumb question, doe anybody have a pic of which two throttle body holes are supposed to be plugged? I pulled off my emissions canister close to a year ago and I don't remember ever plugging anything...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think there are pics at ducatisuite.com

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The ducatisuite.com emissions article only talks about how to do it on the carbed bikes, not the newer fuel injected bikes...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
it's basically the same. I used those directions on both my 02 m620 and my S4R.

If you can't remember where the holes are, they're not actually "holes". There's a port which sticks out of the throttle body. It's made out of brass and it should look like a hose used to connect to it.

Unless you removed those ports. Then you'll have holes.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Allright, I'll go look, but I don't remember seeing any holes. What are the disadvantages to not plugging them anyway?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm not totally sure--I rode my M620 without any plugs for quite a while and it seemed fine. Although without plugs (I think) you will be sucking in ambient air without any filtration.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Three-foot-long flames shooting out the sides... uh, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Allright, well I checked and the holes are already plugged.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
that is odd. nice, too!

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the nice links! I've been looking for step by step pics like that for a while.
I'd been riding around for a while without the throttle bodies capped off. Would that cause any known deficiencies in performance and/or damage?

R.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I had that thought, but I don't think so. When I look at the pictures others have taken of their carbon canisters I have less hoses. The 2 hoses that were supposed to leave the carbon canister and attach to the throttle bodies didn't exist. Instead I had a singular hose hooked up between both holes on the canister in a U. I don't think it was ever installed properly. I even remember thinking at the time that removing it seemed easier than what I had been reading online...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I bought the TPO kit on ebay , $25. It was very easy to do and all the needed parts were there. Easier then running around to find parts. Plus the billet spacers make it extra clean. The kit comes with hexed screws to fill the holes left from hose removal on the heads. I highly recommend this kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts