Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 M900 has started breaking up when it's revved regardless of whether or not there's a load on it. I've been starting it up during the winter to let it run and notice that it will breakup and pop through the exhaust, and occasionally through the intake as well. Nothing has been done to it, other than the dealer replacing a seal behind the clutch basket. It's only after it was there that I noticed this. It also floods easily and is running rich by the looks of the plugs. WhenI bought the bike it had a termi exhaust on it, jet kit, etc. It ran fine during the summer, but it's not looking like it will this spring. Hopefully someone has experienced this and can give me a good clue as to where I should start. I'm thinking it's jetting, but it should become more lean with the cold air... PLugs show no sign of being lean though :p

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I'd say the problem is the plugs, simply because it has not been run up to full op temp allowing the crap to burn off the plugs. PUt a fresh set of plugs in and I'd bet your problems will go away.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Could be one of many things - But that was one of a lot of puzzling and inconsistent symptoms I had as my fuel pump was dying a slow death.

Search all these forums for the past 375 days for the terms "fuel pump" and "vapor lock" (I started lots of discussions/threads when mine crapped out last year at Bike Week). You'll find lots of info including the cheap fix.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It could be way too rich and the plugs have got so much carbon on them they are starting to foul out. try replacing the plugs and if that does the trick then think about adjusting the mix or jetting. When they jetted it they may have just gone way too rich and it took a a while for the carbon to build up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts