Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a future Monster owner (maybe--hopefully) is there much difference in all the Monsters made over the years? Were the changes just subtle ones? Ive heard that the fuel injected bikes have different frames, and that they don't handle the same as the carb bikes, any truth to that? What are the differences between the carb and fuel injected bikes, besides method of fuel delivery? TIA

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Carb vs fuel injection/difference between year

As a future Monster owner (maybe--hopefully) is there much difference in all the Monsters made over the years?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

I have a 93 carb 900. I like it because I can take care of any problems that may arise. Not sure about the FI, I do know I saw Ducati Austin's Crew guy downloading the chip so Anthony Gobert's bike would run. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

So less to go wrong with a carb setup. Makes enough sense to me.
Not necessarily less to go wrong, but you can generally fix it without special tools.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Gotcha. So is the power delivery any different with carbs than with fuel injectors?

Kevin

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

FI is nice (I have a carby), but a lot of the tuning is taken out of your hands. A good shop can get it to run great. You don't have carb icing with FI. They (when tuned right) can give you a few more ponies (than a stock Mikuni carby, all bets off with Keihins).

In my mind, one of the best advantages of the carby's is that they don't suffer all the electrical gremlins that these new FI bikes with computerized instruments and immobilizers have been having! It's a basic bike; turn the key, punch the starter button and have a blast!

·
Registered
584 Posts

FI generally is a more efficient means of fuel delivery. That said, I own and prefer an older carb'd bike. I can do the maintenance myself and I like the simplicity of the older bikes without all the electronic doodads.
dion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts