1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are there any differences in maintenance or reliability with a carb vs. injected?
Basically, what I'm asking is which is better and why?

·
Registered
248 Posts
nope not really. maintenance/reliability is the same. Its only that the IE model is so easy to deal with in cold weathers. carbd bike is a bitch to start in cold weathers. Also IE comes stock with a lil better stock power-rpm range i think.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you're a hands-on kind of guy, a carbed Monster may be more fun to work with.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in St. Louis so this bike would be for spring/summer use only. does that mean since I wont be starting it in the winter very often, I could get either and not really notice a difference?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
For $5K you should be able to find a good 94-98 M900.

With a carbureted bike, you don't need special tools to adjust the mixture.

As for suggestions, the best thing is to look at what's available in your area, then make your decision from there. Just about all Monsters are good choices (with the possible exception of the M600).

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok...I just wasnt sure if one would cause more trouble or result in more maintenance or tuning, because I really dont know much about the bikes.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sounds like either way, you'll have a good shop set the bike up. In that case, you don't worry about it for quite a while.

Carbs will wear the emulsion tubes and begin running rich after some (I don't know how many, at 13k I'm not there yet) miles and require replacement. It's actually something you could learn to do really easily.

Other than that, there's really no maintenance.

Two points though; with carbs:

1. If you get itchy in the spring and want to get out when it's 40-50 degrees, she'll start fine, but carb icing will be a PITA
2. It's just a little harder to pack her up for winter storage. In either case, you put fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the bike to distribute it throughout the fuel system. With carbs you have to run it a long time to purge the float bowls or you have to drain them. With injection, there's not much capacity to the fuel system and you can get stabilizer to the injectors (the end of the line) pretty quickly.

I have carbs, but if it was my money today, I'd rather have an '00 ;)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I live in Columbia, come say hi when you get your bike ;D Also, swing by Donnelson Cycles (i think it's on rock road not too far from 170).

Those guys are pretty bright, and they should be able to answer all your questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts