Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the record I am a dumb horses ass. Now that that is out of the way, I need help on getting my '99 750 Dark running. It sat for a long time (don't ask) but I got a new batt. and it runs.... but crappy. It warms up on choke but sputters off choke after warm-up. With the choke at probably 10% it runs fine at idle. When you give it gas its pretty much ok.... but blip the throttle and it spits gas out ot the right (sitting on it) carb.... If you roll on a little gas and back off right away the left carb (front cylinder) backfires.... I know I need to adjust and balance and blah blah blah... but my speciality on engines leans towards import cars. (you know F.I. ) Can anyone either hook me up with a general idea of what to do or gimme a link to a good instruction site? :-/ :p Thanks guys.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
drain the gas from the tank and carbs. install new plugs. install new gas. pray to your favorite god, idle, or whatever. start bike and run for a while. if it still runs like crap you will need to dissasermble and clean the carbs

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sounds like some of the carb passages are plugged. The idle circuits are very small & get plugged up easily, especially if the bike sits for a while.

You can get a Haynes manual that covers you bike here:

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/maint.html

It should show you how to disassemble & clean your carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
While I'm on my fuel pump soap box, take a look at the Sudden Death on the Parkway thread in this section (I just posted a recap of my pump theory there, in addition to some good points from other folks).

It's probably a real long shot in your case, but I've come to believe that dying fuel pumps on the carbed bikes are causing a lot of the "carb" problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts