Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between motorcycle and car motor oils? This cat from Chicago Cycle Center suggests that motor oil purchased from an auto parts store cannot be used in Ducati's. Clarify this for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
motorcycle oils have additives that help longevity in wet-clutched bikes like your m800. you don't have to go crazy/expensive with motul. there's a "v-twin" blend of mobil 1 that's apparently pretty damn good. i found it at autozone. but that said, i typically just use "regular" (car) mobil 1 as my s4 is dry-clutched. ditto on the old 900ss/cr when i owned it. no problemos.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Look at the API rating. With a wet clutch anything higher than SH will cause a brand new clutch to slip :'(. Golden spectro makes a SG rated oil that I have been using for 55,000mi. They have it in conventional, semi-synth, and full synth. When I took my motor apart at 42k there were no signs of wear anywhere in the motor ;), and my original clutch was still not slipping then ;) (replaced it anyway, along with all other bearings and seals). The last 13k have been hard miles with a big bore/high comp kit installed, and zero problems. :) :) :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
mobil 1 v twin is same as car mobil 1. use something synthetic or blended. :)
Really? There was an oil comparo in, I think, Sport Rider a month or two ago. They printed a lab analysis claiming the two were different. Not vastly different, but certainly not a relabeled bottle.

Otherwise, it was a great read. Would probably end this thread, if no one got anal. It was the issue with a 999 and some other liter-class on the cover. Whoever does our FAQs might want to take a look at it.
Rene Carlos

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
the chemical differences between the mobil 1 oils are very slight. you would have to do "batch" comparisons to rule out variations between batches to say they're really different. the spectro oil rep in my region did all this 10 years ago. triumph mobil was really close to car mobil 1.

:) chris

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I use Golden Spectro Supreme 15w50 full synth on my S4. So far I'm very happy with how it performs. Does anyone know where I can get it for less than 12 dollars a liter? I think it's nuts that an oil change (just parts) is around 55 dollars. Should the oil screen be cleaned or replaced at oil changes? I've been cleaning mine but wondered if it should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Cool article!

"A fairly new player in the synthetic market is Shell with Rotella-T Full Synthetic 5w40. It is not energy-conserving and according to Shell performs competitively with Mobil Delvac One full synthtetic, which means it offers even more protection than does Mobil One 15w50. A number of motorcyclists have reported to me good results so far with his use of the new Synthetic Rotella-T. I put it in my own VFR at my last oil change."

I use the rotella 5w40 synthetic in all my other vehicles, it looks like it is cool for my ducati when I get it too. $12.84 a gallon at wal-mart, even though I change it evry 3k I have the feeling that I could go MUCH longer on intervals if I wanted.

Ron

·
Registered
434 Posts
Check out http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=11

For analysis of many types of oil. Differences in M1 car vs M1 bike oil are primarily in the anti-wear additive package. (much less Moly in the bike oil). But even the car oil does not have tons of moly in it. I use it in my M900 (coming up on 40K miles) and add about 50 ml of Moly Slip which dramatically improves the shifting and almost completely eliminates the phantom neutrals. Essentially none of the oils are bad, but Synthetic seems to be dramatically better at dealing with high temperatures then mineral base oil. and resisting shear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had been using Mobil 1 triumph oil and switched to Mobil 1 15-50. No difference noticed at all. But I do have one question, for winter storage I change the oil. I do not like the idea of putting expensive oil in since it will only act as a protectant. I change the oil and filter in the spring and put the good stuff in (mobil 15-50). What would be a decent oil for winter storage? :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts