Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

No i'm not having a problem with the old fella's, but more so in the wheelie dept.

I have been trying to get the front wheel up now for about a week. I have spoken to a few people and have been given advice like,

"Change to second gear, and ride along at the bottom of midrange rpm, then release the trottle before quickly snapping it full open and the front will rise."

Now i've been trying that for days and it's not lifting. I just keep going straight. All my friends ride 4 cylinder bikes with over 100bhp, so it that only aplicable to them?

What do I need to do to get it up?? Is the bike too heavy stock?? Do I need to change the gear ratios?? Am I doing it wrong?? Do you have any suggestions? I can get a small wheelie happening if I pop the clutch in first off the lights, but thats about it. Do I need more power??

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, I dont know what bike you have but if you have a 620 it may take the clutch to wheelie. If you have a M900 or larger just stand up on the pegs in the mid RPM range and push down on the forks to bounce them. Quickly close the throttle when you push down and wack it open as the bike springs back up. It will come right up, but if you are not carefull you can just keep going right over onto your arse.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Take off from a standing start in 1st. Take off quickly, but not fast. Accelerate to about 4000 rpm or so. As you hit the desired RPM chop back hard on the throttle about 3/4 of the way and hold it there. Your front wheel should pop up nice and easily...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
it sounds like there's a pretty steep learning curve. how
many crashes (any?) did you young hot-shots have
before learning how to do those lurid 1/4 mile
wheelies?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Deano,
I'm in no way a wheelie expert (dam.n i wish i was), but i've got a 95 M900 as well & also trying my best to do those 1/4 mile wheelie's at will.

So here's a few of my thoughts on the matter.

I've got FCR's ect. & just wrapping the throttle wide open in 1st get the wheel shooting for the sky ;D. Still have to practse more so as to be able to do something with it when it's up there though! Most times it's just up, then i Sh1t myself & down it comes :(.

2nd gear, i've never been able to get it up under accelleration.
But, after saying that when i'm flat changing outa first it comes up into 2nd gear ;D, & even a little bit flat changing into 3rd ;D. But never when i want it to! :mad:

One day i was in 3rd & changed back to second & wrapped it on WOT & bang, up she came & wheelied out onto the freeway from the onramp, awesome ;D But again, not when i meant to do it :(

So i guess what i'm saying is that the old 900m must have it in it somewhere, but it takes time & practise to find it.

Whnever my Kiwi mate takes my bike for a spin (i just need a fix of duc sound from the side of the road every now & then so i can apreciate what i give to the pedestrians ;D) the first thing he does is mono down the road :mad: Looks good ;D, but why can't i do it :mad:

I guess it's practise, practice, practise (& a few new chains)

Keep trying, i will be ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Tried that................Get's the thinking stick up & stays there........but although it get's the Duc up too, it doesen't stay there..........maybe a bigger dose :p

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Change the front sprocket to a 14 tooth sprocket ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one of the reasons that a monster is so hard to wheely is that its such a stable bike. the swing arm goes right through the engine and the engine is a structural component of the frame. Jap bikes not the case. the monster is almost perfectly dynamic balanced. it's ment to stick to the ground and drag peg ;D.

·
Registered
849 Posts
one of the reasons that a monster is so hard to wheely is that its such a stable bike. the swing arm goes right through the engine and the engine is a structural component of the frame. Jap bikes not the case. the monster is almost perfectly dynamic balanced. it's ment to stick to the ground and drag peg ;D.
You got to be f*cking kidding me! The Monster is the easiest bike to wheelie short of a CR250.

-R.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys thanks for the great info. I got it Up!!!!! F*#k yeah!!!! It's only for a short time, but I am working on it. I've gotta get used to how much power to ad. I'm trying not to go off the back.

Quick question though. m900_Norway mentioned using a 14 tooth front sprocket. Is anyone using that with good results. Where I live, the average traffic speed is about 100 - 120Kph anywhere around town. Anyway, I generally dont cruise much faster than 140 - 160Kph purely due to air resistance. Will the 14 tooth spocket affect me much in that area??

Secondly, is anyone using a winscreen fairing on their bike. Mine did not come with one. Will I notice the difference??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts