Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of standing knee deep in 900 motor parts. I have the stuff on hand to reassemble the Monster after I swap the lower end of the track bike motor out. In fact the whole Monster is packaged neatly in snap top food containers and tackle box organizers and all of that inside a huge plastic storage tub. Frame, tank, cans etc., and wheels laid out neatly on the floor, of course.

But..... Now that I have the track bike and the BMW, the Monster is becoming redundant and an insurance drain that got ridden more on the track than the street for the last two years.

Logically it comes down to whether it is more work to reassemble it and sell it whole to get all the pieces out of here at once, or if it is more work to advertise, sell, and ship that many subassemblies and components. Doing the math shows me coming out even or slightly ahead by parting it out. But I can't decide if its worth drawing out the task that way.

I had always planned to keep this bike, but my interests are changing direction. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Tough choice, especially for an old pro to make -- my 2-cents...

At the moment it's not a bike, just a parts bin. If you're assured of selling all the parts, then you might go that route and spread some happiness and cheer to those less fortunate Ducatisti ( :angel:).

At the very least pull the insurance for the time being and see if the spirit to reassemble it moves you between now and 1 January. Othewise it might be months or years before you get around to it.

We all know stories of bikes/parts sitting in garages for years...I did it and found in the end (after I sold it) that it was sitting there for a reason - I enjoyed riding my other bikes much more.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OT said:
Tough choice, especially for an old pro to make -- my 2-cents...

At the moment it's not a bike, just a parts bin......

At the very least pull the insurance for the time being and see if the spirit to reassemble it moves you between now and 1 January. Othewise it might be months or years before you get around to it.
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I told the GEICO Customer Service Rep when she asked why I was cancelling the bike.

The bad thing, is that once I get the excess machinery cleared out ( like the Monster and the YSR 50), I'll probably go overboard for something else with personality. Too many of my ADVrider buds are getting into the older Airhead BMWs. And having looked at some of them, and one up close this past weekend, I can see the allure. But in reality, I need to just trim the collection to a couple of bikes that cover what I really do with them.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If you can't see yourself putting the bike back together within say the next year, might as well sell it off in pieces and like OT said, spread some cheer, it's the holidays afterall [thumbsup]

if you want loads and loads of 'personality,' why not go the 50lb sledgehammer route and get yourself an old bevelhead? [cheeky] ;D

in all seriousness, think of how badass you'll feel once you get an old bevelhead going again ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
hiero said:
------------------snip--------------------
in all seriousness, think of how badass you'll feel once you get an old bevelhead going again ;)
But all his family, friends, and neighbors will whisper and point at him, due to the tremendous decline in his physical and mental well-being... [laugh]

When doing the math, did you include the time and $ cost of packing and shipping all the parts?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speeddog said:
But all his family, friends, and neighbors will whisper and point at him, due to the tremendous decline in his physical and mental well-being... [laugh]

OT, but actually that happened to me once. While I was wrapping up my USCG career in New Orleans and living in Slidell I started the mods to my hot rod 78 Mercury wagon. Shaved some chrome, tucked the bumpers in close like cars from the 50s, and painted it yellow [thumbsup] The neighbors were all buzzing about did I have to moonlight as a cabbie. After seeing it at the parking lot for the first time, my boss, the Branch Chief was whispering to the Deputy Chief in the office next to mine, "Is Mark all right?" ;D ;D ;D

When doing the math, did you include the time and $ cost of packing and shipping all the parts?

Yeah, and that's one of the reasons for pondering the effort to reassemble. The cost I can recoup mostly. The labor is the aggravation. One of the other motivators for reassembly (other than I still like the bike), is that I would still love to do an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 on the Monster. Still wouldn't top one of my associates that did one of his SS 1000s on his 916, but woudl be satisfying, nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Iron Butt the Monster [thumbsup]

Personally, I'd try it on the Multi or STx...can't envision myself stopping for gas every 100 miles on a ride scheduled to go thousands...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The problem I've found with parting a bike out is that about half of the stuff sells right away & the other half sits there until you practicaly give it away. If I had the cash, I'd buy the whole lot from you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts