Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding around last night the top can off of my S2R 1K went sailing off into the front wheel of my friends Speed Four. After walking around in the middle of a four lane highway we located a pretty thrashed, dented can. Good news is that once I get some new bolts, it will fit back on.

A couple questions though, would this be something I could get replaced with my warranty? I have a feeling parts are not suppose to fall off a 6 month old, $10,000 motorcycle.

Also, if I can't get this replaced, is it harmful to the bike to run with no cans? Or does anyone have the top can off of a 2006 S2R 1K for sale? I don't have the money to upgrade to new exhaust yet.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Something like a can that falls off has to have gotten seriously loose. (and noticeable)

The lesson in this is to "flight check" your bike ....if not every ride, frequently.

Unless its a dealer "mistake" , I doubt that lack of basic maintenance would be covered by any warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Damn....That means 2 bolts from the mounting flange and your S pipe clamp had to loosen. Thats wierd.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What mileage ?

wbeck257 said:
While riding around last night the top can off of my S2R 1K went sailing off into the front wheel of my friends Speed Four. After walking around in the middle of a four lane highway we located a pretty thrashed, dented can. Good news is that once I get some new bolts, it will fit back on.

A couple questions though, would this be something I could get replaced with my warranty? I have a feeling parts are not suppose to fall off a 6 month old, $10,000 motorcycle.

Also, if I can't get this replaced, is it harmful to the bike to run with no cans? Or does anyone have the top can off of a 2006 S2R 1K for sale? I don't have the money to upgrade to new exhaust yet.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost to 6k miles...

Yeah, I'm not even really upset about it, just my own damn fault. Just figured see what I can get away with.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think most people know where I stand on this issue. If you pay a $3,000 premium to get a Ducati, a certain level of quality is expected. A can falling off after 6 months is a breech, imo. The warranty you get when you buy a bike is something YOU PAY FOR, it is not free. Therefore, when something falls off b/c factory specs were probably not met, it is something THEY SHOULD PAY FOR.

The only leg they have to stand on is if they claim a pipe that loose is something you should have noticed, and you could have mitigated the damage. (at best for them this is a 50/50 sitou imo)

I believe this should be warrantied, it is in Ducati's best interest and yours. (I have no idea whether or not they will warranty it)

Obviously, temporary "flight checks" will become part of your riding routine so you can avoid the embarrassment of having a pipe fly off?

Good Luck [thumbsup]

·
Registered
163 Posts
wbeck257 said:
Almost to 6k miles...

Yeah, I'm not even really upset about it, just my own d**n fault. Just figured see what I can get away with.
Still under warranty........unless you loosened the bolts to do a mod and forgot to tighten.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it is my fault for not checking the tightness of bolts. The next thing I do is going over the entire bike and check the bolts, and when I turn my bike in for 6,000 mile service I'm going to suggest that they do the same.

I haven't touched any part of the exhaust..

I guess I will contact DNA tomorrow and see their stance on it. I won't be surprised either way this goes...

On the tech side -- how safe is it to run without the cans? Does the bladder create enough back pressure? How concerned should I be with rain/washing the bike?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
That is crazy, no way it's your fault for not checking your bike at 6k for loose bolts..........if things are shaking off your bike with only 6k, you should wonder what other problems to expect. ???

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, my other question is does the dealer install the exhaust?

This is the 2nd problem I have had with the exhaust. On the second day of owning the bike the bolts for the sheild backed out and the sheild fell off. It makes me wonder if the dealer does instalal the exhaust, or any other things, if they did a proper job of tightining the bolts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
wbeck257 said:
<snip>
On the tech side -- how safe is it to run without the cans? Does the bladder create enough back pressure? How concerned should I be with rain/washing the bike?
yes [thumbsup]

been riding it this way since 1200 miles. no problems, dealer says its working like a champ

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've lost bolts on every bike I've ever owned, especially thumpers! and never did I once think that the mfg. was responsible. It is widely known that vibrations can loosen bolts. Short of safety wiring ever nut and bolt on the bike how would the mfg. ensure that no bolts come loose?

Almost 6000 miles of use is way more than enough time for bolts to rattle loose. I believe it is the responsibility of the owner to check bolts before they ride just like you would check tire pressure, tire condition, chain tension, chain and sprocket condition, etc... every time you ride.

I get the feeling that a lot of people just jump on their bikes and expect everything to be correct when it is not the case, tires don't air them selves up just like bikes don't take care of themselves mechanically.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
+1 I guess no one want's to take responsibility for anything.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you have taken it in for regular maintence...It should be their problem. Nothing in the owners manual says that you are responsible for tightening the exhaust bolts.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I was sitting at a stop light one day and hear this rattle behind me. I start looking for the source, and one of the bolts has backed out of the heat shield.
I thought at the time, 'this is only supposed to happen to old Harleys'. After that, I was sure to look it over at least when I wash my bike.
JP

·
Banned
897 Posts
desmoworks said:
I've lost bolts on every bike I've ever owned, especially thumpers! and never did I once think that the mfg. was responsible. It is widely known that vibrations can loosen bolts. Short of safety wiring ever nut and bolt on the bike how would the mfg. ensure that no bolts come loose?
Simple. Loctite. It ain't freakin rocket science. And it ain't a thumper, it's a Ducati.

desmoworks said:
Almost 6000 miles of use is way more than enough time for bolts to rattle loose. I believe it is the responsibility of the owner to check bolts before they ride just like you would check tire pressure, tire condition, chain tension, chain and sprocket condition, etc... every time you ride.
Are you saying you check every bolt, every ride? And you think that's an acceptable maintenance schedule?

kopfjager said:
+1 I guess no one want's to take responsibility for anything.
The manufacturer should take some responsibility, too. Any fastener subject to enough vibration to loosen it under normal circumstances should have been loctited. Parts should not fall off a new bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts