Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to know if it is possible to switch my MPH font to a KPH font on my speedometer. The dealer told me that I need to buy a new instrument panel :eek: !!!. I was able to take it a part down to the font, but the arrow seems to be really hard to remove, I feel that I'll brake something if I force too much...

but anyway, is there aftermarket or stock font that I can buy somewhere ?!?!?

thanks guys !!!

jeremie

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Is it necessary because Transport Canada specifies it, or are you doing it for convenience? I imported a car for the US and no one asked me to change the speedo. Why not put some stick-on numbers in the important places

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine bought a Canadian bike and he just had to show a receipt for the new speedo.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
my 851 (which i think was originally brought
in from canada or england) has km and
km / hr ... the DMV and california highway
patrol were too stupid to notice.

my advice .... try it and see if they catch it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Acceptable solutions:

1. Apply 30 mph, 50 mph, 60 mph, and 70 mph markers to the existing number face

2. Buy an electronic converter box that allows you to change the calibration of the speedo (tpyically used by people making really big changes in gearing or tire size)

3. Some KPH speedos HAVE small markings for MPH. They are just not obvious. If they are there, you are legal with no further enhancement.

Since the mental conversion is very easy (MPH = 60% of the indicated KPH reading), you might want to just borrow a buddy's MPH panel for the inspection, and then swap back. If you go this route, the APPROXIMATE (but very close) conversion factors are:

30 mph = 50 kph
50 mph = 80 kph
60 mph = 100 kph
70 mph = 116 kph

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS ALL !!

I'm going to go to the inspection for my car friday...so I'll ask for my speedo at the same time...

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Not sure if you can get at this, but could you not just cover the part of the speedo face that says kph with a sticker that says mph (under the glass)? Then it will look like a mph speedo.... I am sure they do not test the speedo for accuracy, if they do all Duc riders would be screwed!

The added bonus would be that chicks will be impressed when they look at your speedo to see how fast your bike is, 220 mph!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEVERMIND GUYS !!!

I went to the inspection for my car...the guy (the inspector)told me that they don't really care about the law about this issue... so I got his approbation...

good news !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts