·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Bike from Song of the Sausage Creature.

I love HST and miss him dearly...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"The Ducati people in New Jersey had opted, for some reasons of their own, to send me the 900ss-sp for testing - rather than their 916 crazy-fast, state-of-the-art superbike track-racer. It was far too fast, they said - and prohibitively expensive - to farm out for testing to a gang of half-mad Colorado cowboys who think they're world-class Cafe Racers.

The Ducati 900 is a finely engineered machine. My neighbors called it beautiful and admired its racing lines. The nasty little bugger looked like it was going 90 miles an hour when it was standing still in my garage.

Taking it on the road, though, was a genuinely terrifying experience. I had no sense of speed until I was going 90 and coming up fast on a bunch of pickup trucks going into a wet curve along the river. I went for both brakes, but only the front one worked, and I almost went end over end. I was out of control staring at the tailpipe of a U.S. Mail truck, still stabbing frantically at my rear brake pedal, which I just couldn't find... I am too tall for these new-age roadracers; they are not built for any rider taller than five-nine, and the rearset brake pedal was not where I thought it would be. Mid-size Italian pimps who like to race from one cafe to another on the boulevards of Rome in a flat-line prone position might like this, but I do not.

I was hunched over the tank like a person diving into a pool that got emptied yesterday. Whacko! Bashed on the concrete bottom, flesh ripped off, a Sausage Creature with no teeth, ****ed-up for the rest of its life.

We all love Torque, and some of us have taken it straight over the high side from time to time - and there is always Pain in that... But there is also Fun, the deadly element, and Fun is what you get when you screw this monster on. BOOM! Instant take-off, no screeching or squawking around like a fool with your teeth clamping down on our tongue and your mind completely empty of everything but fear.

No. This bugger digs right in and shoots you straight down the pipe, for good or ill.

On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....

And that's when it got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho."

My favourite short story, bar none.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
ajax said:
Thank you! So I guess they're pretty expensive?
Surprisingly given the rarity, they really aren't. You can buy a decent example for $6k or less.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlackHills said:
Surprisingly given the rarity, they really aren't. You can buy a decent example for $6k or less.
I think I know what my second bike is gonna be when I get my degree this year.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My Ian Falloon book says total SS production for '95 was 7,159 units.
Not sure if that includes the SP.

I'm not sure how the SP is different.
It's got a full-floating rear brake, other than that it looks little different from the regular SS shown in the book.

I suspect BlackHills can tell us. :)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Speeddog said:
My Ian Falloon book says total SS production for '95 was 7,159 units.
Not sure if that includes the SP.

I'm not sure how the SP is different.
It's got a full-floating rear brake, other than that it looks little different from the regular SS shown in the book.

I suspect BlackHills can tell us. :)
Sure, happy to oblige. I would think that the SP was included in that number.

Outside of the different brake setup, other differences are:

Rear wheel. 5.5 inches vs 4.5 for the CR
Swingarm. Aluminum instead of steel
Front brake rotors. Cast iron (and true full floating) on the SP vs stainless on the CR
Fork. Showa 3 way adjustable vs non-adjustable
The SP came with full fairing, as did earlier versions of the plain 900SS. After the SP came out, the CR version had a half fairing, the SP kept the full.
The SP came with carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger and clutch cover. It also has a nice little plaque on the top triple with the SN.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Yesss.... it looks like a 94 or 95 900SS. :-\ One of the best passages that HST wrote concerning riding is contained in the last page or 2 of "Hells's Angels," about a twisted late night ride down Hwy. 1 from Golden Gate park to who knows where. He pretty much summed up why we ride in a few short sentences. Gone & missed teribly :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
hmm........still in my profile.

"...but let me tell you something, old sport: This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."--HST

[thumbsup]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts