Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dismantler offered me these shocks from an 03 Monster 620. They don't know what are in the internals and won't take them apart for me to inspect (they are not local). Can anyone identify what the cartridges are? I want to upgrade my suspension, but I am not sure if these are worth getting given that I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am not aware of any company selling “ cheap” internal fork components. Therefore, They are probably good quality items, but I cant personally identify them. Maybe look at Ohlins and Andreani websites and see if you can identify them that way.
There are probably not a lot of companies making internals for those forks, so it shouldn’t be that hard to find.
What are they asking , is it a good deal ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone suggested that they might just be preload adjusters and not cartridges. thoughts? They are definitely Showa forks as well. Though not cheap enough to just buy if they are not something interesting. Speaking of which, I can't tell if I have Marzocchi or Showa on my bike. They are stamped with 960 and 961 and no other branding I can find. Does anyone know which forks I have?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes, the part you’re showing is the preload adjuster, but the existence of it implies there is a cartridge system inside, as the stock forks don’t have preload adjustment.
Sorry, I don’t know what forks you have. I am taking your word that you don’t have adjustable forks and the pictured forks will fit your bike.
Your manual will tell you what forks you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I do have the non-adjustable forks. I know the 620s came with Showa and marzocchi kind of at random as far as other posts seem to imply and so I wanted to identify mine clearly.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Without identifying those forks I wouldn’t consider them. I’ve never seen preload adjustment stick out that far . Check Andreani and Ohlins, they are the most common brands of retro fit cartridges for stock forks. Also RaceTech.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Note the tiny retainig screws on the brass-colored tops? Loosen and remove them, I'd bet those are adjustment extensions and you'll be able to see the actual parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts