Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the oil survey and most ppl are using Mobil 1.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just did my oil change yesterday with mobil one 15w50
I heard guys/girls been using it in there bike for years without a problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
monster_mash, are you using the mobil1 for car version or motorcycle version?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use regular Car Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. Never had any problems. I have a dry clutch so no first hand expirience but I have heard people say that there is a slight possibility of slippage with a wet clutch. Again, I have not expirienced this.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are some differences in the additive packages between the car and motorcycle versions, but as long as you use the 50 weights, you shouldn't have any problems.

However, for all the mod money most folks pump into the their bikes, it always seems a little odd to worry about saving $12-15 per oil change (car vs bike oil). Makes more sense to change the oil at longer intervals (say 5000 mi).

I use regular Car Mobil 1 in all my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Actually, independent chemical analysis has found very little difference between Mobil 1 oils that are not "energy efficient" "SG" rated. You want to avoid the oils with "friction modifiers". So if you avoid the normal car one that's like 10w30, it'll be remarkably similar to Mobil 1 bike and Mobil 1 Triumph.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 15-50 car oil for many years, on many different bikes (including wet clutches), for many hundreds of thousands of miles. Mobil came out with a motorcycle specific oil about 6(?) years ago under a private label for Triumph, & has since begun marketing it under the Mobil label. I questioned a Mobil tech when the new oil came out & was told (with an eye wink) that if what I was using worked, keep using it & forget the new stuff. I still use Mobil 1 15-50 car oil in all my bikes, # of problems so far (including wet clutches)....0.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
i have heard the same thing as Norm . lots of people swear by the 15-50 car oil . I will be switching at the next oil change myself

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i made the switch. Norm helped convince me (thanx, Norm). there are minor differences in the MC specific oil, probably so they don't get nailed for selling the same product for a different price. i don't care that much about the cost, but being able to go anywhere for oil is great.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I guess the conclusion is "yes" use modil 1 on motorcycle is alright!

Thanks to all of you!! good info!!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
if it says "energy conserving", SJ or SL don't use it. i think 10W-30 is kinda thin for a duck uless you live in Alaska.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Could be. As Howie said, SL or SJ energy conserving is bad for bikes with wet clutches. 10W30 is also too light for the Duc. Go with the 15W50.

I have a similar question. I just changed mine with mobil 1 10w30 for cars. I noticed that everyone mentioned 15w50. I had read on the board that people were using regular mobil 1 but not the viscosity. Is this going to be a problem?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'll probably go ahead and get some 15w50 then. I guess I didn't save any money this time. I'm in Wisconsin so it's been about 35-50 degrees so far on my rides.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using the car mobil one.

Yeah 10w30 is a little thin,and summer is around the corner.
(darn i'm thinking ahaed for once)and it gets hot.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 15w50 for about a year. No problems. I simply refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for Motul at the dealer.
d

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I just changed the oil with the 10w30 mobil 1 can I just change the oil and not the filter? Or will the 10w30 oil in the filter not mix with the 15w50? On a side note, one of my plugs fouled the other day so I replaced both. They were only a few hundred miles old. Is it possible that the thin oil got past the rings and was the cause of this? I'm not even sure this is physically possible but just a thought.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What mileage are you switching to full synthetic on a new bike?

cracker

·
Registered
366 Posts
Much controversy on this, but many hi-po cars come with synthetic from the factory. My experience has been that you can switch to synthetic as soon as you want. I typically switch between 100 and 500 miles unless the manufacturer uses specific "break-in" oil ala Triumph.

What mileage are you switching to full synthetic on a new bike?

cracker

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I just changed the oil with the 10w30 mobil 1 can I just change the oil and not the filter? Or will the 10w30 oil in the filter not mix with the 15w50?
You can mix weights of oil with out trouble. I have always been told not to mix Dino and synthetic though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I started using mobil 1 in my 92 907IE from the first oil change I did back in 93 (IIRC).
I intend on using it in my 02 MS4 at the next oil change.
In my norton, mobil 1 makes it sound like a worn out triumph from all the clatter, though I have no doubt it was being lubed and cooled just fine.
The reason I mention norton is because it uses the same filter as the duc.
http://www.gis.net/~dynodave/oilfilter.htm

My oil rules are: (in order of importance)
Any oil is better than NO oil,
Clean oil is better than DIRTY oil,
Better oil is better than just good oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts