Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The workshop manual says it just unbolts. Is it really that simple? Is it under any kind of load? Do I need to support the rear swing arm?

·
Banned
897 Posts
Alternatively, you can support the frame using a small scissor jack on top of the rear tire, or something similar.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If you have fixed aftermarket footpegs (i.e., pegs that don't fold), the easiest way is use jackstands under each footpeg. This will unweight the swingarm. Then you can just unbolt it.

You can also hang the rear of the bike from the ceiling.

B

·
0 Posts
I swapped out the rear shock on my 620 while on the side stand using nothing other than the scissor-jack from my Mini and a ratchet. Couldn't have been easier.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ddan said:
Alternatively, you can support the frame using a small scissor jack on top of the rear tire, or something similar.
This idea intrigues me the most. Are you saying the rear tire can remain on the ground? And how do you know how far to wind the jack out?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Wanwo said:
This idea intrigues me the most. Are you saying the rear tire can remain on the ground? And how do you know how far to wind the jack out?
The tire can remain on the ground. I find it easier to manipulate the tire/swingarrm to line things up. You can do the same with the jack.

·
Banned
897 Posts
Wanwo said:
Yes, the tire can stay on the ground, but a rear stand makes it easier. You only need to wind the jack until the weight is off the shock. Loosen the nut on the shock, turn the jack until you can wiggle the bolt.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Wanwo said:
Yep, thats how I've done it - I put a block of wood across the bottom of the passenger grab rails and put a jack between the top of the tire and the block of wood, then wound the jack up till the spring felt mostly unloaded - I then loosened of the bolts holding the shock, and sort of jiggled the jack till the bolts could slide out. I actually had it up on a rear stand rather than with the wheel on the ground, but having done it like that before, I'd happily do it on the sidestand and wheel if I had to...

big

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Okay so I'm trying this method. The bike is on a rear stand. But at this point I'm really unsure how to tell if the spring is unloaded. You can see in the second pic, the jack is starting to compress the tire. So is this probably too much?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Wanwo said:
You can see in the second pic, the jack is starting to compress the tire. So is this probably too much?
Yeah, I'd back it off a little till the tire isn't obviously deforming, then remove the nuts and adjust the jack by hand until the bolts come loose. (Note, I've got the old hoop-style rear suspension, but I'm reasonably sure this approach will work with the "new" suspension too.)

big

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for the replys. I have a lot more confidence about it now. I'm removing it because I want to paint the spring and finally get rid of that awful yellow.

So my next question is are there anyone with tips on painting the spring? Can I just rattle can it?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Wanwo said:
Thx for the replys. I have a lot more confidence about it now. I'm removing it because I want to paint the spring and finally get rid of that awful yellow.

So my next question is are there anyone with tips on painting the spring? Can I just rattle can it?
Don't you need a press to get the spring on and off?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
VermontDuc said:
In my opinion, I can't see going through all of this to paint your spring
Removing the shock is actually not that big a deal, I suspect I spent almost as much time explaining it to him as it'll take him to do it...

and I doubt you will be able to keep the paint from cracking and peeling off.
PM SydMonster his featured bike has a painted rear spring, I'm pretty sure it's the same House Of Color red as the rest of the bike, and I think it's holding up just fine...

big

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Painting would be best if it holds up. But the other idea I had was to remove the yellow sheath and leave it as is, or if it's too ugly, try to find some black plastic tubing I can thread on it.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I get a mod idea in my head there's very little that will stop me >:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts