Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm a tight-a$$. I just made myself a vented clutch cover (with a hole saw, turned out nice) and want to know if I can paint the pressure plate.

I'll pop for some of the anodized springs. TIA.
Dion

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think Strati's done some in powdercoat.

Might get a little hot for regular paint, but I think you could try it.

S

·
0 Posts
actually i think regular paint should hold up fairly well. i don't think the clutch gets _that_ hot at the extremity despite the friction. i do powder p'plates but don't color match because "ducati red" for example, isn't available in a powder.

but if you're gonna paint the stocker, i've gotta stress prep prep prep... sandblast that sucker or go at it with a wire brush. it's cast aluminum and is really crappy if you don't remove every bit of grease/dust/etc... before priming/painting.

as a note on the springs. they're not aluminum so i don't think they'll anodize well. they're steel and will rust (if not already). put 'em in a tumbler with some soft media and they'll shine up well. drop them in a bucket o' acetone to clean and they'll be ready to paint also. not sure if regular paint would hold up well for springs though since they'll be oscillating under pressure. a plasticized (sp?) paint would work fine, or powdercoat since it's got a rather elastic quality (as paints go).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I painted mine with some paint made for brake calipers. I think the brand name was MHT. Available at Pep Boys etc.

The red is actually a fairly close match for Duc red, and it has been durable, still looks really good after a year.

I painted the springs too, with some silver "high temp" paint, that has just about worn/fallen off.

Take your time prepping and I should come out good.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Strati did my pressure plate and springs (and spring caps). Photos on his ducatipipemod site. Red PP with smoke grey springs.

I think the red he used is very close to the factory red on my tank. While it's not a direct match, for the application, you'd be hard pressed to tell.

Springs continue to hold up well. Only a couple thousand miles so far though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of those high-temp paints should work well. I was actually talking about buying the polished springs rather than attempting to pretty-up my existing ones.
Dion

M

·
0 Posts
Any good quality enamel paint will take up to 500-600 degrees F. Even the rattle can varity. Most spray paints are laquer though. When looking for enamel, avoid the word "latex" or no flamability warnings. Enamels will have a longer drying time and say something like:" recoat in one hour or after 48 hours". Enamels also have fairly good flexibility. Laquers have poor flexibility.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah, that's right. I dragged up a 4 year old thread just so you guys would know I did a search. I'm going to paint my pressure plate this weekend. There's some good info in here, but I still have a couple of questions:

How many coats should I use?

Should I sand between coats?

Should I bake it to harden the paint?

Thanks in advance,
James ;D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
A few. Remember lots of light coats get better restults that a couple heavy ones.

I wouldn't really bother. With a piece like that it's going to be very hard to sand evenly. And since it's not like a gas tank or other body work that get direct light, one won't notice minor imperfections nearly as easily.

Bake? What does the can say?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't have the can with me, but I was going to use engine enamel so I can't imagine the can says to bake it. I just thought it would help it harden quicker.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I did the same as Jeff. The brake caliper paint is a bit $$$ but holds up pretty well. A year later the pressure plate still looks fine. I hit the springs with hi-temp silver. I did the retainers with the same paint as the pressure plate. They only stay nice for a little while and need to be redone pretty frequently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DucHockey said:
I don't have the can with me, but I was going to use engine enamel so I can't imagine the can says to bake it. I just thought it would help it harden quicker.
Use the cheap enamel with enough thin coats to suit you and then one heavy coat for more shine. Put it in the oven at 150 or so for several hours. Do this when the wifey isn't home and let fumes escape the house. :)

Will be totally dry and look great.

Pre rust the springs with salt water and tell gawkers they are made from special nascar valve spring steel and cost $200 !!

·
Registered
810 Posts
OK, here's the plan I've devised.

Clean with wire brush.

Primer, color, clear.

Follow instructions on can.

Bake at 150 while I watch a movie.

Post pics.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Save yourself a ton of trouble with the springs and just pay $35 for stainless springs and really nice keepers from Chris at cacycleworks.com (use the link from the DML sponsors area, so he knows it's justified). You won't have to dork around with them ever.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They sell high temp primer and clear coat also. Painted mine to see if I liked the open look. Would rather spend the $10 before investing in a new pressure plate.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Emily said:
Save yourself a ton of trouble with the springs and just pay $35 for stainless springs and really nice keepers from Chris at cacycleworks.com (use the link from the DML sponsors area, so he knows it's justified). You won't have to dork around with them ever.
Thanks for the advice. They are already on order, along with some blingy gold spring retainers. I figured with all the money I was going to save modding the stock parts rather than shelling out for some billet pieces, I could treat my clutch to some handsome $34 springs and retainers. ;)

printman said:
...Would rather spend the $10 before investing in a new pressure plate.
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts