Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace front tire in my S2R1000. When I bought my Monster in August, the previous owner just replaced the rear tire so I don’t need to get one now. Currently I have Bridgestone Battlax (front and rear) and I was thinking about upgrading to Pirelli Diablo Roso up front. Since those tires have different geometry, lean angles and handing characteristics is mixing acceptable (Pirelli up front and Bridgestone on rear) or should it always be done as matching pairs? Should I just get another Battlax for front? I don’t do race track just street riding. Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are going to get different opinions on this. I personally would not mix a set.

I have even noticed difference in handling when replacing a front tire with the same new tire that had a nail in it and kept the older rear on it. The tire was half way through its life. This also happened on a 748, so it will be different on a Monster and may not be as noticeable.

If you can replace them both then do it. If money is a factor, then get a similar pattern to the rear. I wouldnt get a dedicated sporty tire in the front to go with a all purpose tire on the back. Keep in mind the manufacturers make the tires to match and compliment each other. Usually the front has properties for displacing water and enhancing grip whereas the rear is build for stability.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I need to replace front tire in my S2R1000. Currently I have Bridgestone Battlax (front and rear) and I was thinking about upgrading to Pirelli Diablo Roso Thanks.
I wouldn't mix brands, if I were you, I'd try to get both new tires, if $$$ is an issue, get a BS, if no issue, get a set of Sport Touring Tires, no need for supersport tires, you said it yourself. Never mix brands... If you had Pirellu, I'd say, get Metzeler...same owner, Pirelli, similar design in tread pattern.

If you can buy the set, I have no idea where you are, I'd get Dunlop RoadSmart in 120/70ZR17 185/55ZR17... Great on dry and wet.

My 0.02

·
Registered
64 Posts
Practice burnouts on that rear & when it's toast go buy 2 matching tires. Most guys will tell ya Don't mix brands & if it's a safety reason you'll feel really stupid paying hospital & repair bills by trying to save $180.00. Don't put yourself in harms way over a rear tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! The choice is simple, I’ll stick with the same model/make – Bridgestone Battlex for now.

I’ll go with a new tire up front (since my rear tire has only 1k miles on it) and when the time is right I’ll switch to a new brand with a match pair.

I got to admit, the burnout idea to expedite the lifetime of a rear tire is pretty creative!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the responses! The choice is simple, I’ll stick with the same model/make – Bridgestone Battlex for now.

I’ll go with a new tire up front (since my rear tire has only 1k miles on it) and when the time is right I’ll switch to a new brand with a match pair.

I got to admit, the burnout idea to expedite the lifetime of a rear tire is pretty creative!
In Spanish we say " escucha consejos y llegaras a viejo", listen to advice and you'll make it to old age...

How ya think I got rid of my Pirellis?.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts