Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Back on the bike after a non-bike related ouch incident.

Couple of days ago I noticed that my Check Engine Light was flickering on and off - at all speeds. I thought I noticed the rev display flickering at the same time. When I got home, it was off and thus I could not check the error messages.

Today, the light came intermittently and then stayed on. I immediately pulled over and scrolled through the screens and came up with a CAN error. However, the neutral light would not come on. Thinking to reset the cluster, I turned the bike off. When I turned the ignition back on, it did not go through the usual start up screens and the CEL was still on, but the neutral light was not (the bike was definitely in neutral). The bike would not start - probably because the computer thought it was in gear. It stayed like that after several attempts. Just when I was starting to think "tow time", the ignition started normally and the bike fired up. By the time I got home (about 15 minutes), the CEL was on again and there was the same problem with the neutral light and non-starting. I just went out and checked again and it started normally.

Anyone had a similar problem? What was the fix?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FIXED !!!

Turns out that, when I upgraded the bulbs, I crimped a wire when putting the headlight assembly back together.

What a silly bunt...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO IT HAS NOT!!!

Bloody thing went again yesterday.

Now being told I need a new instrument cluster

Grrrrrr

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Red, I did - and I apologise for not posting it up.

Turns out that it was caused by the integrated tail-light and rear fender eliminator that I installed about 6 months previously. the bulbs in the tail-light are LED, the original being the old-fashioned incandescent ones. I knew this would cause a problem and discussed this with the mechanic. I assumed that he installed resistors. He did not.

I was extremely lucky in that the head mechanic for Ducati Australia was in my local dealers workshop on a goodwill tour when I pulled in for coffee and chat one day. The dealer guys posed my issue (which was pretty well known in the dealership) as a challenge for the Ducati guy. He looked at the bike, ran it over the diagnostic computer and gave the local guys three things to look at -the first being the integrated tail-light. After some farting around, a set of resistors was fitted and problem has not come back. Big kudos to Ducati guy - them fellows really know their ****.

However, there is no explanation for the following:

why it took at least 6 months after the tail-light was installed to surface
why the fault was so predictably intermittent - ie run for 2.5 days without problem, then consistently a problem
why the computer interpreted it as a CAN error
why it turned off headlight
why it turned off dashboard
why it reset after a few minutes
why the original mechanic did not do as he was bloody told in the first place

Do not ride it much any more. Although I still have it, I went looking for a sports/tourer compromise. The Multistrada does not float my boat. Not wanting a HD, too much dignity for a Goldwing. Settled on a BMW R1200RS. Oh, yeah.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information! I just started getting the code, but it has only showed up twice so far. The previous owner installed LED front turn signals and the rear break light. That makes me want to double check his wiring!

Hope all goes well on the BMW, I'm jealous over it! Haha I'm considering getting a cbr 600rr just because I want something with a little more top end for the big roads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have not installed any new lights or anything, but am getting this CAN error and lo batt occasionally. After 2 months in the shop..! Still going on. Has new stator, regulator, and battery. Wtf. Seems magnified by heat. Help! 2014 Monster 796

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dragging up an old thread that exactly fits my situation.
B427, did you find a issue? What was your solution?

2010 M1100S
CAN error, Lo Batt

Checked battery while engine off, 12.3v
Running at idle, 13.9
at 5K rpm, 13.9
Ruled out reg/rec because of nice steady charge.

LED integrated taillight/turn signals
I've set these up on 3 different monsters, this is the only bike that has showed the CAN error. The two prior bikes were 2009 696, and 2009 1100.
Error does not present itself immidaiately. Takes 15 min of runtime, or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just re-installed the original tail light/blinkers. CAN error is still there. Possible corrosion in the connectors? Apart from this issue, which strikes me as an electronic signal gremlin, the bike runs like a top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, I'm following up with what I believe is my solution. Took the bike for a couple rides and worked it out, thus far, no check engine lights. Not even a flicker.

As mentioned before, my voltage at idle was 13.9. Seems fine, although lower than you might hope for. It should be right around 14.5v Now, we all know from way back that these things simply will NOT tolerate voltage fluctuations beyond the norm. They just won't. Since the battery was new and holding a charge at 12.6 day after day, I chose to go after the rest of the charging system. I picked up the 4ga. wires from GenuinedealZ, replacing the positive to the starter solenoid, the positive from the solenoid to the starter, and the negative ground.

I also picked up a new MOSFET regulator/rectifier:

RMStator p/n RM30504H

The reg/rec comes in a semi-finished state. Meaning, you have to add the connectors to the bike. Because of a serious lack of working room, I chose to cut off the connectors from the old reg/rec and solder them onto the new unit. Now cutting off the connectors to a theoretically perfectly working part takes a real act of faith. What got me through was the mindset that even if this isn't a fix, it's still a legitimate upgrade. Took my time, routed wires, re-routed wires...looks like a pro job.

Fired the bike up before buttoning every thing up. Checked voltage... 14.9......whoa, kinda high. Let it sit at idle. The voltage settled down to a nice robust 14.6v. Repeated the starting process 3 times to check voltage with the multimeter. Fired up on the first touch of the button. Check the Stator. Everything checks out. Ok, lets button it......without the tank fairings. (What a massive failure those things are....) Took it for a ride several times, the light never even flickered. At every stoplight checked the voltage, 14.5v. At the same place with the old reg it would have been 13.9 or so.

Wrapped it all up and i'll give it a few more rides before I build confidence that it's actually dependable again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts