Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a wheel lock? If so, can it do any damage like scratch or warp your front disc? After a long ride should you let things cool down before putting it on?

btw, I know it will do damage if you forget to take it off before riding away :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
if you install it carefully (don't clank it on), i don't see how it would do damage. they don't weigh THAT much. never experienced a problem personally (except for that time i tried riding off without pulling it off... D'UH!)...

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yeah, it'll definitely tear into a CF front fender...

--Fillmore

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
front fender? i managed to knock a caliper right off my fork bottom! what a boob i was...

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
front fender? i managed to knock a caliper right off my fork bottom! what a boob i was...
i did that once also, peeled the caliper right off. another time i just went flying off my bike in the parking lot at work, quite embarrasing. almost did this a bunch more times. maybe i shouldn't have got the stealth chrome disc lock...

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I used one for years on my CBR with no issues. Only tried to walk the bike backwards with it on once, heh.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
You need a "remove before flight " tag!!! I hang my disc lock case on my front brake lever, this way, if it is there when I go to take off, I know I forgot it!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have a little leash for mine - neon pink, can't miss it - never driven off with it on. It was about $6, I think. Just in case, though, put it close to the calipers so you can't have a whole wheel rev before it hits.

I put the lock on as soon as I get to work, 23 miles, and don't have to let it cool down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I recently purchased a Xena Lock
http://www.xenalock.com/

It arms itself once locked and if the lock is moved just slightly will give off an alarm pretty high pitched. It stays on for a few seconds then re-sets. Good for keeping pesky kids from foolng around with your bike while parked. The alarm feature is also a great reminder just in case you do try and leave with the lock still on. I was testing mine the other day. I tried starting the bike with the lock attached. Just the vibrations from the bike being started and running set off the alarm So its a pretty cool feature to have for an extra few $$$

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have a little Velcro strap that goes over the keyhole when the lock is on the wheel, then you put it back on the lock when you take it off.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Couple of tips if you do use one:

always park in a location that the bike can't be ridden away forward. So worst case - you forget it, roll about 6 inches and you have a reminder. Worked for me a couple of times.

Another one I saw somewhere - is get a small piece (2 inches) of plastic hose - like for fish tank type stuff (it should fit over both you ignition key and disc lock key). Keep the hose on your disc lock key when you are riding - when you get off and put your disc lock on - move the piece to the ignition key. It will be a little reminder when you go back to the bike and see the piece on the ignition key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts