Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a one lane road approaching an intersection, about 100 feet before the road split into a left turn lane and a "go straight" lane. Suddenly this mercedes pulls up to my right and drives right next to me! It freaked the hell out of me and I gave her the finger, but she started honking like I was being an ass. I was on the far left of my lane.

Am I wrong here? Shouldn't cars respect your right to the full lane? I was seriously mad enough to smash her window if I had been wearing gloves.

I didn't even have my f-ing blinker on. She was blocking me from going straight.

I wasn't even going to ask this, but my friend, who has been riding longer than me is trying to convince me that lane sharing is reciprocal and cars have as much of a right to do it as I. Now, in my opinion, if an SUV blasted by me in my lane when I was riding on the left side of it (Which MSF recommends) I would follow them home. They basically attempted murder.

He says I should ride in the middle to keep it from happening. I am not in the business of physically blocking cars! They should respect my lane.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
541 Posts
didn't msf also say you should be wearing gloves?

they should respect your lane..why not just ride in the center of the line so your more visable to cars in front of you too and at stop lights or the like pull to the side so if something happens you can get out of the way....the MSF is a basic foundation not written in stone.

and buy some gloves...your hands will thank you when you get nailed with a car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paper5tr3et7 said:
didn't msf also say you should be wearing gloves?

they should respect your lane..why not just ride in the center of the line so your more visable to cars in front of you too and at stop lights or the like pull to the side so if something happens you can get out of the way....the MSF is a basic foundation not written in stone.

and buy some gloves...your hands will thank you when you get nailed with a car.
First of all, gloves have nothing to do with my question. Secondly, the only reason I mentioned the MSF thing was to underline the fact that they recommend riding on the left and I shouldn't have to go in the middle just to block cars. I ride in a t-shirt once in a while to go to the grocery store. Wanna criticize that too, or can we please stick to the topic?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
can they yes, should they, no.

I may be out of line here by saying this publically but this happens more often than I would like where I am and am at the point where I dont think twice about putting my fist into the side of their vehicle or kicking the door of said minivan. are their reprocussions to this action, yes, my actions on this matter can make the situation worse but so far (knock on wood) I have not run into the irrate motorist yet and I hope when the time comes I will be quick with the shifts and heavy with the throttle (or brakes as the case may be)

stupid cagers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sconly said:
can they yes, should they, no.
Wait, just to clarify, I am in California where splitting is legal. Are you saying they can like it is possible or they can like it is legal, same as a motorcycle?

My brain might explode if I find out if it is legal... It's so dangerous!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
they can in other words, its possible, but it is illegial, I am in Connecticut and here (as far as I know) it is illegal to even have a bike next to you let alone a car, I dont like having bikes next to me anyway unless I am at the track or I am doing under 15mph or sitting at a light, its just not safe unless the person your riding with is very predictable and you trust them with your life.

·
Registered
541 Posts
ajax said:
First of all, gloves have nothing to do with my question. Secondly, the only reason I mentioned the MSF thing was to underline the fact that they recommend riding on the left and I shouldn't have to go in the middle just to block cars. I ride in a t-shirt once in a while to go to the grocery store. Wanna criticize that too, or can we please stick to the topic?
Chill, The whole middle part of my post was about the topic...it was like a criticism sandwich.
PRetty sure it is legal.....but just wrong.

wear a jacket

G

·
well get a squeegee for your monitor, your brain is about to explode.

YES. THEY CAN SHARE LANES WITH YOU IN CALIFORNIA.

Still here?

As far as not wearing gloves and a T-shirt once to the store, congrats. Was the need for an hostile tone worth it? The DML is a pretty friendly place. Paper5tr3et7 was helping you out. I like to be able to use all my digits in my hand so I wear gloves 99.999% of the time. You are free to do what you want, but take it easy if the majority consensus is against what you believe.

Welcome to the DML, maybe ride in the middle of your lane to prevent cars from trying to share with you, and don't forget to check your six [thumbsup]

·
Registered
444 Posts
I thought it was in cali a bike can split lanes and ride in between cars in bumper to bumper traffic if its safe to do so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pt33 said:
well get a squeegee for your monitor, your brain is about to explode.

YES. THEY CAN SHARE LANES WITH YOU IN CALIFORNIA.
I looked into the vehicle code.

"Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

That's from the govt. web site.

I don't think that means lane splitting by cars is legal. You sure about that? got any references?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
think about this for a sec:

if it's not-illegal for YOU to share a lane with a car, why would it NOT be legal for a car to share a lane with you?

it's the same two vehicles sharing the same lane, no matter who initiated the share.

while it may be "legal" to the letter of the law (or lack there-of), i would frown upon it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
derby said:
think about this for a sec:

if it's not-illegal for YOU to share a lane with a car, why would it NOT be legal for a car to share a lane with you?
Are you saying that you think it's safe for a car to pass you in your lane? I see a difference.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ajax said:
Are you saying that you think it's safe for a car to pass you in your lane? I see a difference.
re-read my full post.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I quoted you before you edited your post, so it's not really fair to tell me to read it.

You said "why would it NOT be legal for a car to share a lane with you?"

Like I suggested - because it's unsafe...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Question-

I don't understand all this talk of punching and kicking the doors of SUVs and minivans. Sure I've wanted to do the same many times, but it always gets me thinking "If I kick the door of that ****ing asshole bitch who just decided my lane belonged to them, won't I more than likely take myself out in the process?" I can see taking their side mirror off maybe, but kicking the door while still moving? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. ???

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ajax said:
Well, I quoted you before you edited your post, so it's not really fair to tell me to read it.

You said "why would it NOT be legal for a car to share a lane with you?"

Like I suggested - because it's unsafe...
re: fair.. whatever.

as far as the legal aspect of it, what you have now is a situation where LEGALLY, by way of there not being a law saying you can't do it, two vehicles can share the same lane. now, generally, this is a motorcycle lanesplitting. in my eyes, i don't see a law that says that a car couldn't share a lane with a motorcycle.

i'm not saying that it's safe. i'm saying that it doesn't look (to me, IANAL) like it's illegal.

now, what happens if you force the goverment to make laws regarding lane-sharing/splitting? it's possible that you'd end up with lanesplitting outlawed alltogether.

personally, i think it's better to leave it "un-lawed".

·
Registered
175 Posts
i try to ride towards the middle of my lane most of the time...keeps the cagers from moving in on me. but if i'm in the first or third portion of a lane i'll move around a little bit to keep em away, check your mirrors and blind spots! if you think someone is even thinking about moving in, that's when i gas it and get the hell outta the way. i always think about punching mirrors and such....but if they were to just move that steering wheel just a little bit my way.....game over

G

·
off post topic but regarding following posts:

I think the whole wanna-be-holligan-punching-doors-thing is pretty lame. There have been plenty of times when I had retards in cars do stupid things, but I never was thinking I was going to "bitch slap" their precious car. I just leave 'em in the dust. Split up a few cars lenghts or just take off at teh next light.

Why would I wanna piss off a person in a 6000 lb car off? TO prove how much of a rebal I am? I kinda view the whole thing(punching/kicking doors) as a short-man complex. The little bike talking tough to the big car.

I'd rather inform the driver of their stupid manuver by honking at them and giving tehm the "WTF" motion with my arms or doing teh "I see you: thing with my fingers to my eye thing. Letting them know that they need to look out for us bikers out there. They have to ACTUALLY look where they are going. I Feel that this will help out the next biker they see. If I hit there car, I would hate to be the next rider that comes along their path.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
that lane belongs to you!!!! regardless if your in a car, on a motorcycle, or on a bicycle...now go out and ride in the middle of it like a man!!!!

quit being a pansy on the left side of your lane...ride in the middle and we won't be having this conversation >:D

(i'm screwing with you if you cant tell...but i'm being serious at the same time)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts