Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the cam is in such a position that the opening rocker arm can slide freely (to expose the closing shim), is that the same position that it's at @ TDC?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Adam
I am going to go with no.
from my feeble memory I usualy have to rotate the cam a bit from the TDC position to get the opening rocker out of the way (after removing the clip).

an even bigger hassle on three valve motors. :'(

cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
ducvet said:
Adam
I am going to go with no.
from my feeble memory I usualy have to rotate the cam a bit from the TDC position to get the opening rocker out of the way (after removing the clip).

an even bigger hassle on three valve motors. :'(

cheers
DITTO!

·
Registered
532 Posts
The point at which you can slide the rocker over is not near TDC. It is right as the rocker is beginning to move and contact the valve. I know this because it took me quite a while to find. I had assumed you wouldnt be able to slide the rocker over once it started opening the valve so i was only attempting push the rocker overafter i saw the valve close. After many revolutions i gave up and started combing through resources for help. The Desmo Times book was the only source i could find that didnt say "its just a little off from TDC" so i tried it and it worked.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i posted while contemplating my in-progress valve job at work... realized shortly thereafter that it most certainly isn't.

but hey, now we have record of this particular comment

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Yeah, but that's no fun...no one has insulted anyone, nor have we accused you of being completely inept to the point that you should call a tow truck immediately to have your poor bike taken to a real professional before you turn your engine into a steaming, pool of molten slag... Oh, and then the gratuituous leghump of your girlfriend, wife, sister or mother is supposed to follow...

j/k--glad you got it worked out. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
Yeah, but that's no fun...no one has insulted anyone, nor have we accused you of being completely inept to the point that you should call a tow truck immediately to have your poor bike taken to a real professional before you turn your engine into a steaming, pool of molten slag... Oh, and then the gratituous leghump of your girlfriend, wife, sister or mother is supposed to follow...

j/k--glad you got it worked out. [thumbsup]
well, i could fill in...

::) :p :-*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts