Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best method and/or tools to use to remove the cam belt pulleys? Is the dealer the only place to get a tool for this? I would use the same method that I use at work for removing spanner nuts, a hammer and chisel, or air hammer if it's really stuck, but this is my stuff and I don't want to have to replace it.

G

·
STM Makes a Cam Belt Pulley Tool, check with some of the DML Board Sponsor-Dealers...Motowheels and Ca-Cycleworks

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I have official Ducati tool in stock. Price recently went DOWN $25. Imagine that. I don't think hammer and chisel will work. 50 ft-lb on tiny nut. You'll destroy it and make impossible to remove without also dmamging the cam or pulley with a dremel tool.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already looked at the STM and Ducati tools and before I shelled out the cash, I thought one of you Ducati geniuses might have known how to go about it using something engineered from the garage. Thanks for the info.

P.S. I had no intentions of using a hammer and chisel or any other tool that used impact as its means of removing a fastener from my bike, Chris. Even though I've been guilty of it in the past. I just thought I'd throw that in for content.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya, about the only time I use a hammer on the Monster the wooden handle is the only end used. Guess I'm gonna have to shell out the cash for the right tools. Seems a bit expensive considering the only reason for removing my belt pulleys is so I can get at those gnarly black plastic belt covers behind them. Hey, there might be enough room to get a hacksaw on them huh?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I have official Ducati tool in stock.
I tried to buy one of these from my local dealer and he _really_ didn't want to order me one in, he said the last 3 he'd got in from Ducati for customers all got returned 'cause they didn't fit properly... He advised me to go buy an appropriate sized socket, and take to it with a hacksaw and an anglegrinder to make myself on that actually fits...

So I did, and it worked fine...

big

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I just butchered a spanner to fit, I woulda/shoulda made it from a socket so I could use a torque wrentch on it but I didn't have one I didn't want. So I'll just have to use the'feel' method to torque it

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Well, fitting properly is when you use hammer to drive center part onto the nut. Fitting improperly is when you can easily slip the drive over the nut because the fit is too loose. Sounds like your dealer is lame.

:)
Chris

I tried to buy one of these from my local dealer and he _really_ didn't want to order me one in, he said the last 3 he'd got in from Ducati for customers all got returned 'cause they didn't fit properly.

G

·
I made the tool myself, but on another list people have used a 12 point socket that fits over the nut and 4 drills or round stock that fits the slots. use tape or foam rubber etc to locate the round stock in the socket. Use an old belt to make a strap wrench to hold the pulley.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Use an old belt to make a strap wrench to hold the pulley.
Umm, yeah, except (at least on a '99 750) the plastic cover for the cam pulleys needs to go on before the pulley, and it gets in the way if you try that method... :-(

big

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Well, fitting properly is when you use hammer to drive center part onto the nut. Fitting improperly is when you can easily slip the drive over the nut because the fit is too loose. Sounds like your dealer is lame.
Heh - maybe, I don't think he's _actually_ lame, maybe just too much of a bevel nazi to be able to offer good advice to people fitting the rubberbands :)

Now that I know its _supposed_ to be hammered on, maybe I'll buy the _real thing_... I'm thinking of getting back in there with a dial gauge and seeing if the cams need dialing in soon.

big (unless I buy this '69 450 single Scrambler to play with as well...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts