Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't completed the mileage to warrant changing my cambelts (I know - I should get out more) but they are over three years old... Should I change them anyway? :-/

·
Registered
16 Posts
the new belt are renforced with kevlar fiber, no more failure at 12k, they can be replace a 24K but are change for security.

Flavien

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Uh-huh. Are you willing to warranty all engines that fail due to broken belts? (a $60 repacement item) And I assume you have first hand knowledge of this? No? You heard it from someone? And they have first hand knowledge and experience? No?

Let's PLEASE try to never ever say stupid things that start getting spread on the internet as though it were fact, ok?

Thanks,
Chris

PS - DISinformation really makes me grumpy.

the new belt are renforced with kevlar fiber, no more failure at 12k, they can be replace a 24K but are change for security.

Flavien

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris is dead-on....just change the belts...3 years of temperature cycling from cold to hot and back will attack any material

IMHO the timing belts are the weakest element of the entire engine design....

one of the cheaper replacement parts....and one that can preclude having your pistons and valves handgrenade....

and end up having you spend thousands to repair the motor

but then, I am the sort of person that doesn't shop around for the cheapest doctor when my or my loved ones' health is in question...guess I'm kinda funny about things that way

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to agree with Chris here. For a simple maintenance item that could potentially destroy your motor, there is no point in pushing the limits. 10K or 2-years IMHO.

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Uh-huh. Are you willing to warranty all engines that fail due to broken belts? (a $60 repacement item) And I assume you have first hand knowledge of this? No? You heard it from someone? And they have first hand knowledge and experience? No?
is it a judgement or a fact? think what you what I don't care.

Flavien

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
12K for the belts is Ducati's recommended interval. many techs have seen them fail prematurely, which is why Chris and many people with extensive Ducati experience recommend 10K. the failure seems to be rubber deterioration from heat, probably due to the tight radius of the sprockets.

if the bike is still on warranty, the belts brake, and they weren't changed at 12K, you pay for the repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the drive belts that I have seen braking were for two main reason :

- too old (some people seems to don't know that they MUST be change after 2years)
- roller tensionner, too tight or seize up (or both)

I agree for warranty, but if your arrived for 12K belt rendez-vous with 12K+some miles and your drive belt explod, the dealer can usualy take it under warranty.

Flavien

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
the drive belts that I have seen braking were for two main reason :
- too old (some people seems to don't know that they MUST be change after 2years)
- roller tensionner, too tight or seize up (or both)
My friend who had belt fail with 11k miles was under 2 years of service on belts, was approx 20~23,000 miles on bike, and rather meticulous about maintenance. (more so than I)

I agree for warranty,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts