Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys quick question, I am driving a 1100 and i find the first gear pretty agressive (its my first bike) , does anybody know if its possible to adjust the first gear so you have a easier build-up of all the power when driving away..

·
Registered
663 Posts
changing sprockets will impact all gear, just short shift out of first 5-6k, and do your jamming in 2nd. you don't have to spend a lot of time in 1st

·
Registered
663 Posts
what do you recommend to change the sprocket to ?
Not recommended for your purposes. Most peeps go up 2 in the back, or down1 one in the front, which enhances acceleration and decreased top end.

If you went the other way, you would slow accereration, increase top end, and perhaps get better gas mileage, but not the bike is harder to launch, more clutch slippage.

Basically, I am recommending you do nothing but change your riding habbits.

If you are a new rider, generally, you are better served being in a gear 1 higher than you think you should be in. If you want better modulation, then taking a trun in second is easier than in first, since the bike is not as touchy to throttle imputs (weight transfer, jerckiness) in a higher gear.

I had a friend that insisted in going down to 1st gear at deals gap, I finally convinced him to try 1 run in 1 gear higher than his previous run, he was amazed at how much smoother he was, and as a result, picked up considerable speed and confidence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are a new rider, generally, you are better served being in a gear 1 higher than you think you should be in. If you want better modulation, then taking a trun in second is easier than in first, since the bike is not as touchy to throttle imputs (weight transfer, jerckiness) in a higher gear.
So you're saying drive away in second gear instead of 1 st ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
So you're saying drive away in second gear instead of 1 st ?
You dont need to pull away in 2nd. Just be smooth and easy on the pull away and shift into second after the clutch is fully released and the bike begins to pull with more power. That way you keep the power band lower and you will be less likely to wheelie or break the rear end loose.

Tripod's suggestion is spot on. Ride in 2nd in corners. The bike will be settled and less twitchy.

May I suggest Keith Codes books? You may originally think they are only for racers, but the physics he describes makes perfect sense on the road. he goes into detail about balance and not loading the front or rear too much with throttle or braking. The fastest guys always have the bike balanced as they enter turns. Bottom line is to do all your braking before the turn and begin to slowly turn the throttle on when cornering. As the corner is near completion, you then begin giving it gas. This does not upset the balance of the bike and makes you feel more confident.

As for your original question, I would not mess with the gearing. Just practice and ride as described above. You will find with time that you will actually want to change your gearing the other way to make use of that motor!

Be safe

·
Registered
663 Posts
There is "relaxed" riding, and performance riding.

If I'm just putzing around town, I shift out of 1st at around 4K, and shift up from other gears around 5k. I don't bother downshifting unless I drop below 3K. If I need rapid acceleration, I just bank it down a gear or 2.

If I am at Deals Gaqp, or on the track, however, that is another thing, then I ring it out, but still usually stay a gear above what I would be in if I were wheel to wheel racing.

Loke, we can't teach you how to ride over the internet. If you haven't taken a MSF course, do so. If you have, try to get into a beginners track day, where you will learn much faster than on the street, and anything you learn is suable on the street.

You become proficient through miles, every ride is a learning experience. You NEVER know it all. If you become cocky or complacent, that is when you will get hurt.

The basics are:

1) Look up, look up, look up. You have to always look to the exit of the corner, and in the straights, you should be looking far enough ahead that you are never surprised.

2) There is almost always more lean angle left, trust in the bike, and never focus on where you are, but where you want to be, and you'll get there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the good advice ! too bad i can't drive at the moment as winter has begun here -4 and black-ice and snow so probably will take a few months before the roads are clear.

Your right, i fell ones already with the bike :-( ,although there was (the first day with ice on the road which surprised me completely ) I was driving away from work i when made a flaw corner to the left, i think i had to much gas as my back-wheel just swept to the right knocking me on my ass ...clutch lever broken and some scratches on the generator house :-( ( although now i bought the crash kit )Next time i will shift to second gear asap and dont give gas in the corners anymore..cuz man this bike is a real MONSTER..

Here if you can focus on the generator house you can see the scratches.

Altough its hard to see on this picture the sides of my back tire is like raffled, do you think of my back tire, does it needs replacing, the previous owner did some serious track racing ..

And what do you think of the front? is this like normal or is is leaking or using oil??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts