Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???I have a 99 M900 City that has a cut open air filter housing, the vapor canister removed, Dyna jet kit and Ferracci exhaust. I am considering moving to California. Can anyone tell me if the bike will pass CA emmission test?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doesn't the DMV or CHP do a visual inspection of bikes that have never been registered in California though? Not that I think they would even check things like the airbox and exhaust - I think they'd just look for the "...meets CA requirements..." sticker.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The DMV does a numbers check( Frame and Engine). They do not know squat about emisions and do not require you to start it. If you are bringing it here as you move and it is previously tagged in another state, you will not have a problem. Their law is ther to keep residents from buying vehicles out of state and bringing them in.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You should have no concern at all with bringing a bike that you already own into California.

As for the law to keep people from buying vehicles out of state, that law is only to prevent people from buying new vehicles that don't meet the California emission requirements and bringing them into California. It's perfectly okay to buy a car meeting the California emission requirements in another state and bring it in. I've done it personally with my H0nda S2000.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Something nobody mentioned but I believe it is still the case ? If the bike has over 7,000 miles no hassles for a non CA emmision vehicle...?!! Isn't that the case CK ?
By 1999 all Duc's were CA spec's BUT you need to have everything in line when you have it inspected by State Patrol.
There should be a sticker either on the airbox or under the seat on the inner fender that say that it meets CA emmision. This will make things smoother if in place, locate them and be ready to point them out.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if you look at the DMV web site, the regulation states
that a non-california compliant bike cannot be brought into the
state if it has less than 7000 miles. i kinda skated on this as the 851 had 11000 km and neither the DMV nor highway patrol were attentive enough to pick this up.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It's 7500 miles, not 7000, and it only applies to California residents bringing in vehicles from out of state.

If you're moving here from somewhere else and already own the vehicle, you don't have the same mileage requirement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts