Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Caburated Vs ie ???

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Fillmore 
#1 ·
What are the major differences between the carburated and the ie Monsters?
What's the difference between tha carburated Monster with a jet kit stage 1 and a Monster ie?
That's all ;D

#3 ·
You don't need any special tools to get to carburetors for rejetting. You need special electronic equipment to modify the fuel injection map.

In both cases with all of the right equipment, it's less work and faster to modify fuel injection. If you don't happen to have the right equipment, you can't do the fuel injection remapping at all.

G
#4 ·
What's the difference between tha carburated Monster with a jet kit stage 1 and a Monster ie?
Aside from the jetting crapola, there are two main differences. The ie has a cam that breathes a little better on top. It also has nice short intake runners, equivalent to a set of short manifolds on individual FCRs, which also breathe better at higher RPMs. This goes a long way toward explaining the higher quoted hp numbers for the injected bike.

This is important stuff to consider if you want to *really* hop-up your bike long-term. FCRs cost, what?, $800 these days. Then you've got to find or make short manifolds (and maybe modify your frame). On top of that ST2 cams will set you back at least $400. Compare that to a PCIII for $250 or whatever they cost.

#5 ·
As usual, people tend to advocate what they own (grin). I chose carburation over injection, personally. I like carbs, I understand them and I have no qualms abou tweaking them. Conversely, injection seems so much more complex, not really tweakable in your garage and more expensive in the long run.

Shrugs. Go with what you like.
Dion

#6 ·
thanks for the feedbacks.
I've posted it for a friend who's not sure what he wants to get.
I think he'll go with a Carburated monster, tweaking is easier to be done with a few tools and he loves spending his weekend under a car's hood :-X

#7 ·
I own and work on both. For me, simpler is better, especially when talking about Monsters. I want an engine and something to hold the suspension and steering to it, and that's about it.

I personally wouldn't go out of my way to get an injected 2v Monster when there are so many good carburated ones out there available at such good prices.

That said, Laura's M900Si.e. has never had any problems and if a Multistrada or S4R came along, I wouldn't pass it up just because it was injected...

--Fillmore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.