Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I appreciate the updates, Chris..

Keeping the look is kind of the point for me. I'm not opposed to other looks, but it's hard to imagine liking one more.
It is after all a big reason as to why I'm so stuck on the bike in the first place..

For that matter, why are you not too hot on the idea of the classic shape tank? Just because of raising the costs?
It's all new tooling. The molds are half inch thick aluminum "boxes" that bolt together to make the shape of the product. Buying the aluminum is over 10k and then there's the CNC time to make the shapes. To spend time instead of money, I'll probably be the toolmaker: the one who installs the clamping system, dresses the flanges, installs the inserts' drill bushings, etc. I'm already going to be the CAD man. I did that for the MTS tank.

Would wrap-able tanks be more realistic than paint-able? I have absolutely nothing against wraps. I think they can look fabulous.
I never did quite understand why wraps wouldn't work on your track tanks. Like, specifically why. I only ever heard that it wouldn't, but no one knew why. Expansion?

Might be a good time to go over why they can't be painted, and what you have in mind to fix it.
Any wrap will need to have vent holes in it. Just like when you'd see wraps (or large stickers) applied to off road bikes. Fuel vapor will eventually start bubbles. You probably could just pop them with an X-Acto knife. No one wants "probably" and additionally, no one is willing to experiment. If someone wants to try a wrap and has an S2R, I'll give them a MTT tank to test. Needs to be a commuter or frequent rider.

:)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Thanks. That actually explains a lot.

Well I do have an S2R, but I'm not sure I'm a frequent enough rider for your tests.

I'm in Seattle and waiting for the winter to go away.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
S2R800 Monster

Hi Chris and thread followers, any updates on your Monster tank replacement?
Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Chris,

I'm still interested in the tanks.
How many folks are interested now?
Any info on POD filtration?

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have someone local who can coat a tank interior, and a very tempting price on a new tank from Italy..
It's extra tempting as mine has a rock chip, a key gouge (harder to see) and a little point on the black stripe is showing paper at the front.. May have polished through.
So, it would take care of some cosmetic stuff in my head.

On the fence, as I know some still have tanks deform after caswell coating..
I would love to see this avenue prosper, but it feels a little like it's stalled.

Rob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have someone local who can coat a tank interior, and a very tempting price on a new tank from Italy..
It's extra tempting as mine has a rock chip, a key gouge (harder to see) and a little point on the black stripe is showing paper at the front.. May have polished through.
So, it would take care of some cosmetic stuff in my head.

On the fence, as I know some still have tanks deform after caswell coating..
I would love to see this avenue prosper, but it feels a little like it's stalled.

Rob.
unfortunately, i agree with the stall. i figured with as many people that have the same problem they would be lining up around the corner, but no such luck.

im going to send two steel tanks and one S4RS tank to Italy to see what i can have made...

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
unfortunately, i agree with the stall. i figured with as many people that have the same problem they would be lining up around the corner, but no such luck.

im going to send two steel tanks and one S4RS tank to Italy to see what i can have made...
To Italy?
Care to elaborate?

I'd be more than interested to hear about what you have in mind and how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Homer's '08 Tricolore Tank is on R and R

Hi Chris. Is the S*R tank project still alive?

Sadly, I just pulled the tank off my 2008 S4RS Tricolore to let it rest while I look the bike over closely for the cause of combustion gasses in the radiator.
I was surprised how large it has grown. I'm hoping to put a new tank on it. I'll be ordering repair and service parts as soon as I finish my inspections.
Head gaskets, Belts, Shims, etc... Thank you for being there for the Ducatisti !!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I’d be interested in a tank with extended range/ air box delete. My ride is an 04 with steel tank, so ethanol swelling not an issue.
If there were a capacity of at least 5 to 5 1/2 gal. I’d be in.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts