Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I am so ghetto I scares myself. My alternative to the Quat D Ex Box appears below.
Pros: Shaves 14.5 pounds(!) of unsprung weight, takes 10 minutes to perform mod, costs $2.50 in parts, doesn't violate warranty terms (?), sounds freaking amazing compared to the canned tune, does not need reprogramming ECM or monkeying with F.I., scares little girls (?)- see photo below
Cons: Well... it is soooo ghetto you may get laughed at or beat up by true Ducatisti; maybe both!

Parts list: - 2 stock cans and post collector pipes, +2 Snap in Strainers for Price Pfister sink drains, beverage of choice for celebrating
Tools: allen keys to remove exhaust hanger bolt, socket/wrench to loosen pipe clamps at collector.
Process: loosen pipe clamps at collector, remove allen bolt holding exhaust hanger, left hand behind the hanger clamp/ right hand out of pants- then grab beneath lower pipe at collector, wiggle-wiggle-wiggle. Put exhaust cans on workbench, soothe aching back (old guy step), remove Snap-in strainer from packaging, bend the 'tines' on the back little by little outward to provide enough tension when you mount them so the exhaust doesn't just pop them right out or so they don't wiggle free. Repeat for the second Snap-in. It took me several fitting/bending efforts to get where I was sure they weren't going to fall out. Stand back and enjoy. Oh yeah- open beverage, consume, smile.

I'll probably paint the Strainer Snap-ins when I get the whole exhaust system coated. This mod was a proof of concept to myself to see if I liked the notion of underbike exhaust. I think I just saved myself about $1000 as I don't see needing the Quat-D even though I really like it. I'll spend it on something else like a Power Commander, and a lightened clutch, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure. The sound is awesome if you like LOUD. You can buy a pair of 4 inch baffles at www.jcwhitney.com for about $15 shipped to your door if you want them to be a bit more quiet. I may yet do this myself. Laugh, cry, yell at me... I dun care. I like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they'll probably heat up and lose the 'chrome' but they're metal so shouldn't melt (I hope). I actually bought some 'Crumb cups' to use as baffles but they are about 1/4 inch too narrow to wedge in the pipe. I can make a shim but how to attach the two pieces together... JB Weld I suppose. Don't know if it'd hold up to the heat. Not done playing with this mod yet. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been considering this option for a while and have been advised against it from my mechanic, I want to do a PCIII with a custom map and an open airbox and he told me that i couldnt tune it right and it would only help my top end power. If anyone else has any experience with this system, i would like to know if there is any long term side effects: have your valves needed to be adjusted at the service intervals?
If anyone could give some insight.... that would be great.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Definitely creative! Way to think outside of the box! (no pun intended...well maybe a little) I think it's awesome!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I was thinking of painting it pink and welding a couple of teats on to it. [laugh]
Yeah it needs some ceramic coating, probably to match the frame- or at least a 'stealth' appearance of some sort. There are also carbon fibre cowlings to be had but that's another $300 or so and I like the nakedness of the bike as it is. The shape isn't optimal but heck... it's paid for! For those of us who like the Quat D styling (and I do) it's a question of whether the $1k is well spent for a more production shape/finish. Someday when I get more performance mods I may look back at the exhaust but this works for me... for now.

The questionable release of back pressure in this mod can be at least somewhat empirically tested by placing one's hand near the outlets. There really isn't much more air coming out than from the stock cans. The collector itself retains a good deal of air which supports the valves with sufficient back pressure, and doesn't seem to effect the motor's performance although I haven't (won't) put it on a dyno. The shape of the udder and the location of the ports provide the necessary 'blockage' in air flow which prevents this from resembling a straight pipe system. Any sort of baffling or air blocking will only accentuate the issue and help keep the noise down which is most of what the stock cans do anyway.

But in a different post LA made a very valid point about the exhaust in reference to one's degree of risk aversion. If this doesn't make sense to you don't do it. Enjoy your ride however suits you best!!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
[clap]  [clap]

I like this mod so much that coming sunday I will do this mod. I was planning to order the Quat D but I'll try this mod first and perhaps save some money. Money that I can spend for other parts of the bike..

I think my neighbours will persuade me to buy bafflers.. Do you think these DB-eaters from Desmoworld will fit in the udder?

Desmoworld dB eater

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
christianweisser said:
That wins the award for "best free mod of the year" Post some sound/video pics if you can!

Nice!
I vote for flippy upside down bars >:D

couldn't resist
:angel:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dadgummit Paper! [laugh] (the flippy thing is really working for me I have to admit)

Diameters: when you take the cans off you'll see that the udder "manifold" actually has two pipes. The internal diameter on the inside pipe is 1_11/16" (43mm). The outside diameter of the outside pipe is 1_15.5/16" (50mm). Hope that helps.

Fwiw- I blew out the two grills while rapping out the throttle to hear the deep booming of the exhaust while riding. So I gotta get more and figure a way to keep em on. I bought some other drain bits that have a handle for removal. I'll do a bit more testing this time before posting results. /blush

1 - 12 of 12 Posts