Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is an odd question that I havent found an answer to yet. It came up because I was raised to always take care of something like I was going to own it FOREVER... and because I was raised to be paranoid about used stuff, especially when buying from people as dodgey as fellow motorcyclists ;D

In your (collective) opinion, is it better (more benfitial to me) to buy a bike used and enjoy the plethora of possible mods, or to buy new and have the "peace of mind" in knowing the bike had alwayyss been properly serviced and cared for?

Basically, does the hidden and unknown risk of damage because of misuse outweigh the obvious monetary and immediate advantage of having a completely modded out and broken in bike?

what are your thoughts? :)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Accept that toil, damage and financial disaster is in your future if you buy a Ducati. ;)

The newer bikes are better than the older ones (design and quality control) but Ducati ain't Ford or Honda. If you buy second hand from a careful owner with full service history your risks aren't that much higher than with a new bike. Check his/her posts on the DML (wheelie learning, trackdays, engine damage) to be sure. Plenty of careful owners here.

Disadvantage of a pre-modded bike is that you will change everything anyway... no cost saving there.

·
Registered
969 Posts
IMO, unless there is a model no longer made that you "just gotta have." I'd buy new.

I don't want someone elses mods anyway. No way you know how they broke it in. Full two years of warranty. No surprises...stripped or missing bolts, hidden damage...etc.

To me the peace of mind is worth the money you *might* save.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another way to look at a used bike is this: They've already dealt with all of the "teething problems" that motorcycles are known for. Additionally, if they can tell you about that stuff, and what they did to fix it, you're probably going to have a good ownership experience. If anyone sells you a Ducati and says, "It's never had any problems since day one" you should probably consider the following: They're clueless, they're lying, they haven't ridden the bike very much (which should be obvious), or they got really really lucky and you'll be the one to have the first problems.

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome replies guys!

this really cemented my feelings about buying used... that its just about equal, and if I'm going to customize to my taste/toil and enjoy the bike for myself, buying new might be a better option.... for me that is. it all just depends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts