Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a valve adjustment on my 900 carby this winter and plan on doing it at my parent's house since they have a nice heated, fully-equipped garage. But they also live an hour away from the nearest ducati dealer and I was just wondering if I will be able to buy the needed individual shims online once I get all the measurments. I saw on Chris' website an EMS shim kit, but it is $269. I'm not exactly sure what is in this kit, but it seems to be way more than I need. Where can I buy individual shims online and will they be cheaper than this kit (surely they are).

As a side question, what is the importance of the MBP valve retainers?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
You can certainly order or get individual shims, but you must know what you need before ordering. Then you have to wait for the shims to arrive.
I have both a 2v and 4v set from Mike at EMS Duc and wouldnt own a Duc without them now. Its so convienient to have a selection onhand.

As far as the MBP collects go. They are very nice, if not abit tempermental on install. I have them on my Track Monster as it gets beaten hard. If you are planning on the regular maint. intervals you could probably do without them.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ducman851 said:
As far as the MBP collects go. They are very nice, if not abit tempermental on install. I have them on my Track Monster as it gets beaten hard. If you are planning on the regular maint. intervals you could probably do without them.
This certainly seems to be the consensus I have seen upon searching. Considering that the bike has not seen a track day yet and I don't really flog the engine too hard, I'll probably go without them. And as far as the shims go, I would love to have a whole set for convenience sake, but I'm just a poor student trying to get my degree and get out... so I'll just go the individual shim route.

So anyone know of a good online place to buy individual shims?

·
Banned
897 Posts
Some shops will do an exchange, you send the shim with your measurments big or small, they measure and send you the appropriate one. Might be cheaper and also eliminates the problem with possible discrepency in different micrometers.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Check with Mike at EMS he is a great guy and will take care of you. He will sell you individual shims and he will sell you the one tool that you'll need as well for the closers ( it's inexpensive). You don't need a tool for the openers you can measure them directly with your Mic. Good luck and let us know how your project turns out it's always nice to learn new tricks or get confirmation on techniques used [thumbsup]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts