Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for my ultimate monster and have looked at some that are a couple years old and also brand new. It's my understanding that Ducati is trying to "Standardize" maintenance on all models '07 and newer to cut maintenance costs by 50% over the life of the bike. Although I have never bought a bike before I know with auto's you depreciate big time the moment you drop it over the curb. Just wanted to get some insight from everyone on their opinion of buying new vs. used. Is it worth it to buy new? I'm currently looking at buying a '07 695.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I purchased the s2r 800 new, and felt a lil restricted on doing mods and my own maintenance, based on the possibility of violating future warranty issues. ( that view based on what the dealer I purchased it from told me)

The m900 was purchased used.

I feel I got a better deal on the used bike than on the new, simply based on price and horsepower.

A dealer will most likely not go backwards on the price of an 07, unless it's a demo. Buying used gives you a lil more negotiating options IMO.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I purchased my 03 800 in 06 with 600 mi. I knew I was going to do alot of mods, so I went for the savings of the used bike. Less than half the price. My .02

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought about the Mods, was just more concerned about the service intervals and the cost of some of the service work, i.e valve adjustments, etc.

I had planned on getting mods done on the bike at time of purchase. The dealer never mentioned anything about messing with the warranty. Guess I better find out!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
New is nice because if something goes wrong you can just have the dealer handle it under warranty. New can be easier to finance if you have to do that...usually better interest rates.

Used is nice because they're cheaper and often come with all the mods you would buy anyway.
Some used still have a warranty if that's a hang up.

I've bought 2 new and 2 used, and 2 of the 3 I now own are used. It all depends what you are looking for. If you don't want the newest bike out (i.e. a 620, 800, or 900 will make you happy) then I would say used. If you REALLY want the 695 then probably new.

Personally I'm a little more inclined to buy used over new if the bike is in good shape and has a few mods, like exhaust. I also like to work on my own a little and am hesitant to do so on a bike tht's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am sure any mods the Dealer performs will not void the warranty. I was speaking strictly about the cost.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have always bought used bikes. I live in a state with a short riding season and many other things to do during that short riding season (read fish for salmon). So I have always been able to find bikes a few years old with very little mileage in great shape. I got my monster with 2200 mi on it, 2 years old, and $3k less in price then new. My GFs sv650 had 1800 mi on it, 2 yrs old, and we got it for less then half the new price. Also, this is the best time of the year to pick up a used bike. Anyone selling in Jan is in need of money or moving or divorce or in some other desperate situation. Not that I am suggesting preying on others misfortunes, but is okay to scavenge after the big predators make a kill. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Is it worth it to buy new? Some people like the reassurance of not having to worry or deal with mechanical issues when buying new. That peace of mind in turn covers any cost savings for them. But I'm cheap, so my '05 S2R was purchased used with a little over a 1000 miles. Plus, it came with a full Arrow exhaust system and tail chop. I saved a ton of money versus buying new and the netted savings will basically be going for more mods (how can you not mod these things?). In terms of maintenance, whatever I can do myself, I'll try to do, using the dealer as a last resort.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
kopfjager said:
I am sure any mods the Dealer performs will not void the warranty. I was speaking strictly about the cost.
Not to

But you could run into problems with DNA over a Power Commander for instance, even if the dealer installs it.

Theoretically speaking of course. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I bought my '98 M900 used. I'm at least the third owner now. I thought I got a good deal and am able to do almost 100% of my own work. (No equipment to change tires). I've made lots of mods and done a bit of fixing what others before me didn't fix or messed up. It's fully up to snuff on all it's maintenance and will be as long as I own it. If I sell it someone will be getting one hell of a good bike. I would expect there to be other bikes like mine and other people out there like me (that's kind of a scary thought) so you just have to find them.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I didn't buy the new 695, this is the other one I was looking at. Although a new 695 is $500 more at least some mods have already been made.

99 900 M, S, Cycle Cat rear sets, Carbon Dream tank, etc. FCR carbs, RaceTech, custom exhaust, original tank incl. 7,75O mi. $6,999

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
gr8ciehall said:
If I didn't buy the new 695, this is the other one I was looking at. Although a new 695 is $500 more at least some mods have already been made.

99 900 M, S, Cycle Cat rear sets, Carbon Dream tank, etc. FCR carbs, RaceTech, custom exhaust, original tank incl. 7,75O mi. $6,999
I'd take option "B". That M900 is a great bike with some nice mods.

Just double-check that the 6k service has been done or budget some extra $$ to have it done.

FWIW, I chose the gently used bike route. Bought my bone-stock '04 M800 with 400 miles on it at a substantial discount over price of a new '06 S2R800.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
My first inclincation was to buy new, but my initial inquiry with a dealer who shall remain nameless (but has been trashed soundly on this board and elsewhere) informed me it would take approximately $3500 over MSRP. By divine intervention :angel:, just what I was looking for appeared in the Monsters for Sale section. 24 hours later, it was mine.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Mainly I'd say go with what your heart tells you. If you plan to own it for any length of time it'll all average out.

The new 695s are really sweet bikes, especially the gloss black with the red frame [thumbsup]

But that 900 has some really nice bits too - it sounds like a definite contender.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Used [thumbsup]
My last 3 bikes...
996 one year old, 2k miles new $16500, I paid $11,500
03 999s one year old 6k miles service done new $22,995 I paid $14,500
03 749s race bike w/ $22,000 spent I bought it last year for $9,500

I'm currently trying to buy a "used" 07 S4RS
It's amazing that you can find used 07 modles and it's only Jan 5th ;D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Both of my Monsters were purchased as low mileage used bikes on Ebay. My 620 had about 400 miles on it, if I remember correctly. My S4R had 157 miles on it. I saved thousands on both, even with the shipping costs figured in. Of course, I ended up plowing the savings back into the bikes with mods. The buying experiences were good because I bought both of them from established dealers with good Ebay feedback scores. I think that I came out way ahead with both of the Monsters. That being said, I am lusting after a new 1098s.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I go tomorrow to check out the 900.... ;D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Mac900 said:
am able to do almost 100% of my own work. (No equipment to change tires).
Buy new unless the model you want is no longer made...OK now off topic:

What "equipment"? A couple of tire irons...Ok a compressor for seating the beads...what else??

I have changed my own tires forever...well once when I got the ST4 (new, not used) I was worried about changing tubless tires (had never done it before...always tube type). So I took them both to a local Yamaha dealer (wheels off bike) these idiots gave me back my nearly new wheels w/fresh tires and fresh scratchs, chips and gouges in my wheels!! If I nick them at least I have only me to blame and I don't pay for someone to booger up my wheels. Actually once you get comfortable with it, it is not very hard at all. (Oh, ended up setteling for $200.00 for the damage they did to my wheels).

Back on topic: If cash is not an issue, new is always better IMO. Warranty, you know how it is broken in, no "hidden damage", no surprises.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.