Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone.

Having decided to buy a motorcycle I've spent the last few weeks browsing the market for different makes and models. Upon seeing the Ducati Monster I was instantly infatuated and after a few more days searching believe I have found a good deal on a 2003 800.

After speaking to the seller there are a few concerns that I was hoping you guys might be able to help me address.

- The Bike has 13xxx miles and has still not received it's 12k service, I'm wondering if this could have caused any potential problems and if I do buy the bike how much the service will cost.

- He also said that last time he changed the oil he forgot to put on a washer and as a result there is a small leak. Not knowing much about motorcycles I'm don't know if that could be a legitimate cause for an oil leak

- The bike has a rebuilt title but but he says the only reason for that it was tipped over and he has since repaired the only cosmetic damage, being a roughed up handlebar and foot peg. Again I don't know much about the issue but would such minor damage really be cause for a rebuilt title.

- The final and biggest concern I have is that he installed and after market computer due to a missing red key, he says as a result of this computer, occasionally, when the bike is idle it will switch to one cylinder and then turn off completely. He did mention that you can turn it back on immediately however.

While I'm hoping that most of my concerns are simply first time buying jitters I'll greatly appreciate any input you guys have. Also if there are any specific questions I should be asking please let me know. Thank you for your guys time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ideally for your first bike, get something that has no problems... the missed service, not a problem, get the full 12k service and you are good to go... however I am always concerned with rebuilt title and replaced ecus... I would personally stay away from this bike... but thats me.

another option is to add what you would be paying to immediately recondition the bike to the purchase price and just look at bikes in that price range... that way you maybe be able to find one that has had the services done and a clean title.

·
Registered
663 Posts
- The Bike has 13xxx miles and has still not received it's 12k service, I'm wondering if this could have caused any potential problems and if I do buy the bike how much the service will cost.

- He also said that last time he changed the oil he forgot to put on a washer and as a result there is a small leak. Not knowing much about motorcycles I'm don't know if that could be a legitimate cause for an oil leak

- The bike has a rebuilt title but but he says the only reason for that it was tipped over and he has since repaired the only cosmetic damage, being a roughed up handlebar and foot peg. Again I don't know much about the issue but would such minor damage really be cause for a rebuilt title.

- The final and biggest concern I have is that he installed and after market computer due to a missing red key, he says as a result of this computer, occasionally, when the bike is idle it will switch to one cylinder and then turn off completely. He did mention that you can turn it back on immediately however.
I would pass, the ecu thing sounds hinky, shouldn'c cause this problem, or ecu may be crap. Bikes don't get totalled just for a handle bar and foot peg rach, there was other damage not being disclosed. It is possible that the missing washer could cause a leak, but if he is that good (bad) a mechanic, what else did he miss?

But, first and foremost, what is your past riding experience? This may be too much bike, even if it was in good shape. Also, you didn't disclose asking price, so hard to tell if worthwhile at all.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I would not buy.

Not only because it sounds fishy but its also too much bike for a newbie rider.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would not buy.

Not only because it sounds fishy but its also too much bike for a newbie rider.
I agree with everyone else man.. Maybe if he was asking like 1500 or 2000 it miiiight be worth it but those all could be huuge problems and could end up costing you alot of money to take care of it and before you know it youll be replacing more and more parts and could have bought a much better more reliable bike..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Id buy it for no more than 1250 dollars.If you really love it and he lets you test ride it,then buy it and expect to find stuff wrong with it and to dump some money into it.The 12k service alone will run $600 to $900.

By the way the seller drops it and somehow totals it,changes the oil himself and dosent put the crush washer in,is a bad sign(I wouldnt want this guy anywhere near my bike.).Also why didnt he take the plug out and put in a washer after you find out about it?Sounds like youre gonna need tires on it too now since its been leaking oil on the rear.

There are alot of nice monsters out there, Id turn and run form this one,but if you like to wrench it could be a good buy,for the right price of course.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Run away...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found another 2003 800 for $3300 (not set on that particular make it just seems to be what I find). The only issue seems to be that after he listed it he crashed in the rain at about 30mph. He says the damage is strictly cosmetic and nothing more then a dent in the tank from the handlebars and a scratch on the front fender, unfortunately it seems his body took most of fall.

It has documented service as well as a few nice after market additions, with 16xxx miles any opinion on this one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Find a bike that is mostly or all stock , has it's keys , and a healthy paper trail of maintenance .
Don't pull the trigger on this one . Too many ifs , ands , and , unfavorable butts .
You wouldn't have posted if you weren't concerned .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up an '07 695 with 3k miles for $4000. Clean title, the only cosmetic damage is a small rock chip on the front hugger, it has an aftermarket exhaust and is in perfect shape mechanically. There's good deals out there, you just gotta keep looking. Unless you really want to do all that fixing up right out of the gate, that is

1 - 13 of 13 Posts