Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this board but it seems pretty cool. The other Duc boards I have been on (news groups and web sites) are pretty much geared racing.

I'm thinking about getting a Monster 620 i.e. The main problem is that the rear seat looks like a pelvis buster. Has anyone put on a better seat for passenger riding? I've checked out Sergent and they don't have anything better.

Next question, the exhaust header on these bikes looks like it may burnish or turn brown. This color wouldn't seem to match the bike. Has anyone put a chrome header on or is there another solution.

Last question, the bike looks a bit naked on the bottom (not having a wrap around frame). I know this is why people love them but I would problably put an engine cowl or something to dress the bottom. The 620 seems to really look naked compared to the 1000 or S4R. Any suggestions here?

I'm sure a lot of people are going to tell me that I should get a more powerful Duc, but I did just fine riding my wife and I around on my Vespa ET4 150cc. I sold it but I am totally leaning toward buying a monster.

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The whole point of the Monster is to make the engine visible. It's a shame to cover it up.

As for the exhaust, when I see a Monster, I notice the engine and the exhaust cans, but the pipe usually just blends in and goes unnoticed.

I can't help you with the seat.

G

·
Hi,
The rear seat is no good for passenger riding, only for small trips. The Monster touring seat Ducati has on offer (Sargent) is said to be better, have not tried it my selves though.

I agree, it looks a bit naked on the bottom. I added the

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
The M620 is a great bike. I don't carry passangers, and I actually like the seat, so I can't help you there. But as a performer, you just can't beat it. It's fun, it gets all the looks and as far as I can tell, it's just as reliable as any other bike in it's class if treated with the respect any Ducati deserves ;)
Buy one and you'll never look back!
T.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Monster 620 i.e. The main problem is that the rear seat looks like a pelvis buster. Has anyone put on a better seat for passenger riding? I've checked out Sergent and they don't have anything better.

Next question, the exhaust header on these bikes looks like it may burnish or turn brown. This color wouldn't seem to match the bike. Has anyone put a chrome header on or is there another solution.

Last question, the bike looks a bit naked on the bottom (not having a wrap around frame). I know this is why people love them but I would problably put an engine cowl or something to dress the bottom. The 620 seems to really look naked compared to the 1000 or S4R. Any suggestions here?
seat: the rear part of the seat is small, and there isnt a whole lot you can do to make it better for a passenger. Sargent seat is probably worse than stock, corbin might be better, you could also have a custom seat made by CeeBailey (thats what i have)
pipes: i think the headers look crappy too. they can be polished or ceramic coated easily. i think a chromed header would blue quickly.
belly pans: there are belly pans available in Carbon, Alum, or fiberglass...several of our board sponsors have them http://www.ducatimonster.org/sponsors.html

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would have to say, the only reason a 620 looks "more naked" than the 1000 or S4 is it is minus the oil cooler. I like it that way. I really don't like the look of the belly pan on the Monsters. I've seen too many monsters (online, never in person) that become Buell replicas with the belly pans and the dual headlight conversions. As for the seat, I don't mind it, can't say the same for my wife though. She says it isn't the most comfy thing. And for the header, I polished mine. Not like a professional polish job. I just used a metal cleaner, rubbed it out then applied a coat of metal polish. Not shinny like chrome, but not even near a brown.

·
Registered
16 Posts
look around if sommeone know how to repair chair and things like this, they can probably rebuild a bike seat too ( in france we have saddler but I don't know if it's a good translation)

buy a used seat (that maybe a pb with ie bike) and they will rebuild it for you, less cheaper and more confortable than a aftermarket seat.

note that a rebuilt seat normaly can't have a seat cover, the passenger seat is generaly larger than the original one (that's why we use a used seat for the modification)

Flavien

G

·
Just to allay your fears, the pipes do not turn brown, or blue for that matter. If you add a lower cowl it will look awesome and definitely less "naked". As far as seats go good luck. I don't know anybody with much passenger time on their seats, but my roommate swears by the Corbin seat on his S4. The main thing is, get the 620, ride it, love it, and never look back. It's a great bike!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm still really suprised that there isn't any after market seats built for passengers.

I was originally looking at some of the Triumph cruising cycles because of their seats but I was turned off for other reasons. I really like the Monster but it wouldn't be fair to buy it and not ride the wife on occasion :-[ Buying 2 is not an option. The wife once dropped the Vespa. I don't want her dropping a motorcyle!

If you put have a lower cowl on your bike, can you send me some more links on where you purchased it? Ducati tells me that they only have an engine cowl in Carbon Fiber or Metal.

About the header- if you check out this link below, even the brand new Ducati's have discolored headers. My eye is drawn right to it.

http://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/photogalleries2/M800_04/images/f04_1024x768.jpg

Thanks,
Frank

G

·
I think it is under mods, but I started a thread about jet-hot coatings. There is also HPC that does ceramic coatings for headers that have a satin or other finish that lasts forever and drops header temps a lot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info on the header. I went to performancecoatings.com and their product looks pretty decent. The prices are very fair. I would go with Chromex so that it would look the same as the exhaust can. The polished looks good but I think the ceramic coating looks better. Just my opinion. What was the turn around on the time for your header for coating?

I checked out the links on this website and am having a hard time finding a company that is selling engine cowls. I think I'll check out the Mod section of this website.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a corbin seat and it is fine for my passenger. It is better that the stock or sargent because there is actually a dip in the seat for the passengers butt. If you put on a bellypan however then sometimes with a passenger you will bottom out because of bumps so you will have to stiffen up your suspension. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts