Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to ducatimonster.org and new to bikes. I just took the MSF course this past weekend, my first time really riding, and I am hooked. I live in NYC and know the winter is coming up but am ready to buy. I am dead set on a monster in the next few months and am beginning to look at used. Is there anything I should look for when inspecting bikes? I am engine illiterate and could use any common tips/ advice for a novice. Thanks so much.

I am happy to be part of the board

JM.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
hi JM, that is great to hear!

I was in your situation this time last year and bought a used Monster as my first bike... and it's been great!

You'll get a lot of good info here and advice, no doubt. When I was shopping for my bike I used this guide

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

It's pretty thorough, and you can skim through it to get an idea for the basics. On a used Monster you'll be looking out for the same things as on any motorcycle really.

Be sure to let us know when you find one you like!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much factor.

Can't believe how quick the reply time on the board is. I can tell already this is going to be great.
In just a quick skim I found your link helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
jmoses said:
Thanks so much factor.

Can't believe how quick the reply time on the board is. I can tell already this is going to be great.
In just a quick skim I found your link helpful.
No prob dude. When I'm vegging in front of the LCD with a Mickey's in one hand and no date on a Friday night, it's pretty easy to keep up with the new posts.

;D

Le Pirate makes an excellent point. If your bike to be is 6000+ on the odo, you'll want to know that the service has been done at the recommended intervals.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I payed 5k for my 02' two years ago.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I paid $4500 for an '01 M900 Dark with 17,883 miles.

·
Registered
498 Posts
CIAO JM / Moti Mo / jmoses! ;D

Glad you made it over, and welcome to the Family! [clap]

You already know my take on the issue, but here you'll get allot of great information from many different perspectives. [thumbsup]

Bike prices are lower in the winter months and higher in the spring so happy hunting my friend and remember on the older bikes low mileage or not to factor in the cost of having the belts replaced. It'll save you a bundle down the line and allot of potential heart ache. [thumbsup]

~Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts