Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience buying a bike on eBay?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've bought a bike, car, truck, and tractor on e-bay.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I bid on 2 bikes on ebay just last wek, and I to ask the seller many questions, and one was in my area, so we were going to go look at it ( but he sold it ) and the other was in another state, and ask the seller if I could have someone go look at it and he said yes.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've bought 1 motorcycle & 1 car off Ebay, with good results. Both were out of my area, but I made arrangements to pick up, & pay for them on sight. I never parted with any money up front.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
As with anything, buyer beware. I have been burned on e-bay and gotten really good deals on e-bay. Inspect the car before any money changes hands. E-bay is no help at all once someone has your money.

I bought my bike on e-bay and had a pretty good experience. The bike was not exactly as represented: There was a dimpled tank (they didn't know about the sidestand) There was some blue paint overspray from being out in the shop (i still occasionally find tiny blue dots while cleaning or wrenching). And there was a weaping clutch slave. None of this was enough to change my mind and I still consider my purchase a great deal and a good experience.

Conversely, I had a major aggravation last week. My wife's Porsche S2 is getting up there in miles so I am looking for a new(ish) car for her. Problem is that all she wants is a 968 Cabrio. Made for 4 years, only about 2200 came to the US, and there are only 3 in SC according to my dealer. So I have had to shop out of state. Bid on one and someone out bid me with 7 seconds to go. The next day I get a call back from the dealer (i had called with a question earlier) saying the buyer was not serious and offering the car at my high bid. The price was a little below book, but not enough to make it a great deal. It was a fair price for both parties. Called a few times including just before I got on the plane to make sure there were no issues and the car was ready. Flew to VA and went to get the car. Hoped to sign the papers, give them the bank check and drive back to SC.

Let's just say that the car was not as advertised. The CD player was replaced with a cassette deck. The driver's door did not line up or close properly. The driver

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've bought jackets and misc. parts and have been pleased. I sold my last bike, a Honda CB1000 on Ebay. Buyer drove 200 miles to pick it up and paid cash. We had a nice visit and a very pleasant transaction. He left very positive feedback for me. So far, good luck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you can see, I'm a noob. What types of questions should I be asking to the seller about the bike?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I'd want to know about chain of ownership, one owner best. Drops and crashes, down to any visible marks. With multiple owners, you'll never know the whole story. Maintenance file very important; any maint. neglected? You want to make sure there is a clear title in hand and I personally would only buy a bike close enough to pick up and inspect both the bike and the title before paying.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bought small stuff on e-bay,but i will never consider buyinf a bike or car...But that's just me.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I barely trust anyone I buy a used vehicle from &g

in the first place. A car or bike from Tora Bora...er, eBay? That could really be a stretch unless it's a phenomenal deal.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the case of the truck inspection, an accident investigator that my wife frequently hires (for her job) lived near the seller's location - so, I contacted him for the service. They run the VIN for all investigations and did so as a part of the inspection. I was not overly concerned about the truck; except abnormaly low mileage. Turns out it was logical mileage.......the previous owner was a 68 year old widower with 3 vehicles.

http://www.collision-research.com/

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought my monster off e-bay also and so far I feel I lucked out. I wouldn't say I got it cheap but it had about 4 grand worth of upgrades and only 3500 miles. I paid 500 to get it shipped but I went through a company that handles the bikes by hand and not by fork lift. The extra cost was definately worth it to me. For sure talk to the seller as much as possible. Ask as many questions to see if he sounds truthful when talking about the bike. Don't go based off pictures entirely either. It's pretty easy to make blemishs disappear with photo shop. Also take your time and don't be in a hurry to buy it off e-bay. I spent two years looking for the perfect one and I'm happy I didn't settle. Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I ran into a rider from this board, TallDuc, at the wheelie school and he got an incredible deal on his bike on eBay. He had some interesting suggestions regarding strategy, and making sure you have a good, and long, bidding record.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts