Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Buying bike from out of state

825 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  stevey 
#1 ·
Hello there.
I've been happily shopping for a used monster but I was challenged with finding information about buying one from out of state and moving it here. Mostly i'm concerned with CARB/AQMD/smog check issues. I know this can be a problem with cars, but do motorcycles have the same issues?

I searched and didn't fidn anything on this topic, but I was certain someone in the 'local' forum would have info.

Thanks,
P

#3 ·
IN short there are 2 parameters that must be met, either or.

1. the bike must have more than 7500 miles or
2. the bike must have an emissions sticker proclaiming that it meets US EPA and Califonia Carb standards..

#4 ·
ducman851 said:
2. the bike must have an emissions sticker proclaiming that it meets US EPA and Califonia Carb standards..

...usually under the seat on monsters.

#7 ·
Eh? I thought you never had to do emissions on bikes. Hope you hadn't removed your emissions system!

#8 ·
erkishhorde said:
Eh? I thought you never had to do emissions on bikes. Hope you hadn't removed your emissions system!
they never test emissions, only verify that the sticker showing compliance is present.

#10 ·
just be aware that the DMV / CHP are the closest thing to god on this planet. they
can jack you without cause and make your life miserable. my out of state 851 sat in
the garage for 3 months until a sympathetic CHP duc owner signed the papers.
have all your documents in order and pray to whatever gods you hold dear.

#11 ·
abby normal said:
just be aware that the DMV / CHP are the closest thing to god on this planet. they
can jack you without cause and make your life miserable. my out of state 851 sat in
the garage for 3 months until a sympathetic CHP duc owner signed the papers.
have all your documents in order and pray to whatever gods you hold dear.
what reason did they give?

as long as the frame+motor numbers check out and the emissions compliance sticker is there (or the bike has 7500mi on it), it should be a simple process.

for the record, i've registered two out of state bikes (and one salvage title with a new, VIN-less frame) in california.

#12 ·
my example was a 1990 851 (the frame tag says Jan. 1989, so this might
be one of the earlier US bikes, possibly re-manufactured from a europe-only
1989 version) which by the wisdom of ducati has a 14 digit VIN.
Now, this 14 digit VIN matches the example given in the clearly DNA owners manual.
And anyone up on their ducati history knows that it was about that time that someone
at the factory finally accepted that VINs are required to conform to a particular format
which includes 17 digits. unfortunately, the DMV 'inspector' ... who was a fat POS with
nails so long that her writing looked like the scratchings of a preschooler ... was
unreceptive. the CHP officer to whom i next took the bike attempted over the course
of 3 months to call both Italy and DNA with no response. Fortunately for me, he was
an onwer as well and simply signed off the registration with no resolution to the
original question. with a less sympathetic CHP, this thing could still be sitting unregistered
in my garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.