Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to get back on two wheels and am currently looking for a nice ride. I assume I do not have to explain why that ride is supposed to be a Monster...

Since I do not like the new Monster series (Ok, the exhaust can be replaced, but what's with the frame?) I am targeting the S2R 800/1000.

Are there any model specific issues to look out when buying used? Any specific indicators if the Monster has been taken good care of or not (other than the regular inspections)?

I appreciate your help and any comments.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Take a look at the infamous gas tank. Known expansion problems with this model if you're in the 06-08 years. Rear sprocket and chain. Look for excessive wear. Make sure at a minimum you start the bike and let it warm to operating temp paying attention to the idle. The s2r series introduced an 02 sensor.....some bikes have horrible idle hunting. Check the twin clocks making sure they work properly. Those are the only model specific
Items I can think of, there can be nuisances in these unfortunately. Other than that ask the owner about maintenance. Were the timing belts ever changed?
The s2r is already a classic, it's an awesome bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 2 year service is due on these. Belts, valves and all fluids changed. This seems to be roughy a $800 expense. I would try to buy one with mods already done! My $.02

·
Registered
34 Posts
Early model 06 1000's had "soft valve" guides, I don't have the serial numbers affected off hand but a search of DS1000 valve guide should return results.

I would look for a model that has had the plastic tank replaced and coated with caswell's and receipts for the work. This seems to be the only fix for the plastic tank issue. If it has not been replaced I would make sure you can et a dealer to replace it.

Make sure To get receipts for the services as mentioned in previous posts.

Other than that the s2r (can only speak for the 1000) is an awesome machine. You will love yours once you get it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts