Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I wrote this previous post titled Help me decide between these 2 used Ducs: 2004 M620 and 2001 M750. Most everyone seemed to be leaning toward the newer 620 for it's price, resaleability, and fuel injection. Well there's a twist to the story as I finally got to take a look / test drive the m620:

- It runs well.
- The "Ducati dent" mentioned on the left side is barely noticeable. Everything else is pretty perfect.
- $3000 is a ridiculously cheap price for it - something is fishy.
- Seller mentioned that the bike has a salvaged title and eventually that he bought it from an insurance auction several months ago (he seems to be a mechanic ).
- Seller looks like he has all valid paperwork, title, pink registration, etc.
- Bike has no license plate - seller says license is registered to previous owner and has a year left on it so doesn't want to be liable for it.
- I say I can't ride a bike home (30 miles) with no license plate and no insurance. [Later I call progressive and find they can insure you on the spot - they just need a VIM number and the lady on the phone says they insure salvage bikes with no quote difference.]
- Seller mentions some "24 hour grace period" to get the bike registered at the DMV and a new license. Says to keep the registration on me and I'll be fine if I'm pulled over.

At this point I decide not to take it. I have no idea about salvaged titles and how to register them (I'm in California), if I can register them, if I'm able to insure them, and most importantly, if I'm legally able to even drive this bike home.

So what say you guys? Good decision? Bad decision?

At this point, I'm sick of bike shopping and am just going to buy the 2001 m750 I mentioned in my previous post for $4200. It felts really good to ride it - better than this (2004) m620 or my friends (2001) m600 I'm riding now. It's a little pricier than I'd like, a little older, too, but the bike runs beautifully, powerfully, and has barley a scratch on it. The seller is a wall street type who definitely didn't abuse it and always kept it garaged. Look at these high-res pics and tell me I shouldn't buy this! [cheeky]

http://readystate4.com/m750_front.jpg
http://readystate4.com/m750_side.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd stay away from salvage titles unless you are comfortable and skilled at doing your own maintenance - never know what issues will crop up.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
In california, the plate goes with the bike.
(also- there is a release of liability form that the seller fills out and files with DMV so they wont be liable when the bike is sold)

a salvage bike can be registered and insured just like a regular title, it just affects the resale value (and you dont know if there may be damage you will discover later)
i dont think you are legal to ride the bike home with no plate, the DMV website doesnt say anything about a 'grace period'.
if you got pulled over you could likely show the reg and be ok...but you wouldnt know for sure.

that has too many what-ifs and the whole thing seems a little suspect...i'd pass.

The pics of the 7-fiddy look very clean.
FYI- the 750 is coming up on a maintenance too.the 12k service includes valve adjustment and belt replacement.
depending where you are in CA, there may be independent shops that can do this work cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@smilingbear: I agree although the bike looks and sounded perfect!

@MonsterHooligan: Thanks for the heads up. Do you know about how much that would run me? There are two main shops that work on Ducs in San Francisco so I'd get a quote from both. I'm pretty much past the point of negotiating any more but I hear $4200 is a bit overpriced for a perfect-condition 2001 m750 - what would you say the going rate is? Kelly Blue Book only shows it's trade-in value which is a lot less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks puppy! It's in super clean condition with a good engine so I don't mind having paid the extra $265 then. I bought it last night. :OOOO

Not used to the extra 150cc's of power yet - was doing 80 when I thought I was doing 70 most of the way home (the mileage Tachometer has a higher top speed.) Stayed under 5,000 rpms the entire time!

Where did you get the suggested retail value by the way? I looked under Kelly Blue Book and could only find it's trade in value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is illegal to drive the bike on public road before you get rebuilt title and pass DMV inspection. Had same question when I purchased my salvage Ducati with flood title. Called my local DMV and they told I would have to pay more then $1000 if I get caught. Would be hard to catch me so I was driving it for more than a month 8)
btw used easyexport to buy it at salvage auction. WWW.EASYEXPORT.US/SALVAGE DUCATI BIKES FOR SALE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts