Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, let me say I've read all the FAQ's, and am still looking for advice in purchasing a Monster. I have some mechanical expierence w/motorcycles, as I've owned a 71 Honda 350 for a year, had just about everything go wrong with it, but fixed everything on my own. I'm now looking for a Monster, a used one. What I'm trying to find out is when looking at someone's bike, and possibly purchasing it, are there any things that are Monster specific I should be looking for? I know what to look for generally in purchasing a used bike off of someone, but as far as specific Monster issues, or a particular Monster I should go towards, or stay away from, I do not know, and didn't see much in the FAQ's. Thank you for everyones help in advance.

G

·
look for hte biggest engine like a S4 :)

Of course, I have a S4 that is bling bling with cyclecat parts for sales - ;D

G

·
I suggest you to get a 2 valves monster model since you had bad mechanical problem before... S4 or S4R are 4 valves models and need more care. Also, after year 2000 model monsters are improved overall.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I would recommend that maintinence is the key when looking at used Monsters (or any ducs)
Ducatis dont respond well to being neglected.
Things to check for are regular oil changes, and timely valve and belt jobs.
Im partial to 2-valvers, and I would rather get a cheaper one and have money to customize it to your tastes.
There are a couple used 750s in the DML classifieds in the 4 grand range.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, one thing I forgot to mention, whats a good number for mileage? I've seen a couple with over 20K, I imagine thats way too high? I know cars are 12k/year average, but for a Monster, whats a good number? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
On early monsters, like 94s, see if the head bolts have been replaced. It was a common flaw on them and it's a few hundred bucks (as I found out :-/). Make absolutely sure that they have a good maintenance record and that the valves/desmo belts in particular have been done, valve adj. intervals are 600/6000/12000/etc. Mileage is not as important as care. Um at 20 000 or thereabouts the valve guides may need to be done. If it's a wet climate the electrics are suspect, esp. if it's somewhere where the roads get salted in the winter. The late 90s carb bikes have less power than the early carb or FI bikes (I can't remember what years though-anyone?). If it's been fitted w/ new pipes and jetted that's a plus since they're kind of strangled normally.
Personally I like my 94 M900. A lot of people like the S4 better than the 2 valvers, but they are more expensive, more expensive to maintain, and not as attractive motors. They go like stink though which is real nice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts