Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In short, it's not worth it. I researched this idea for months and came to the conclusion that it was not worth the effort unless you rode the bike in Europe for awhile before coming home (like European Delivery).

Another interesting fact, the bike has to be converted to US standards before it reaches the port. Otherwise it will sit outside and rust. Now getting someone in Italy the parts to do this would prove to difficult.

If you like, pm me and I can dialogue with you all the problems that you will encounter. I tried to set up a European delivery of my ducati, tour the countryside for a couple weeks, then send it back home. I never ended up doing it just for the fact that it was so expensive and such a hassle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Euro is real strong right now,so buying a ducati in Italy you will take a beating with the exchange rate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raezer,

There is a way....

Contact Ducati directly with your wishes.

They have been to known to allow you to take initial receipt of your bike there in Borgo Panigale, at the factory, all set up for the U.S., allow time for some riding there, and then ship it to the states to your local dealer.

I just got back from Italy.
The Euro to dollar conversion is like rape without the pleasantrys, and the hassle of reclaiming the VAT Tax.
I suspect using the U.S. Dealer network is part of the whole process to get around the ugliness of tarrifs and red tape.

Holler at the good folks at Ducati if you are serious.
They seem to have a penchant for catering to us obcessive Duc freaks and allowing for international trade silliness in the process.

Hope this helps!
S-28

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The buy-fly-ride program is no longer operating. It may start again in the future I am told. Without this, the problem would be purchasing a US spec bike in Italy. To convert it, it is most likely not worth the hassle.. I believe the Military offers an option to purchase a "US Spec" bike if stationed overseas.
I seem to remember a thread somewhere regarding Ducati pricing around the World and the US was the lowest in general.
You could always buy one in the US and have it shipped to Italy and use it while you're there..

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
rental

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
See this thread I did a while back when they came out with the Sport Classic pricing:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...orum1;action=display;num=1075844222;start=4#4

US was cheapest by $1000 - scale of economy and fewer taxes believe it or not.

I have also looked into doing the fly buy ride program through Lotus Tours, and have also been told from someone at Ducati Bologna, that it has ended, but may start again in the future.

It would be easier and cheaper to rent one while in Europe (insurance included), then buy one in the US when you return. That is what I am doing while here (renting on the weekends when possible) for 2 years :-/

mitt

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Alexandre said:
whooooaaaaa old thread, are we in a time warp?

Hey..at least they are researching the old threads!! ^^^ [thumbsup]

Wahoo..if I get over to Europe next year, I'm planning to buy in Bologna and ride to whatever country my job is in!! [thumbsup]

·
Banned
511 Posts
IZ_ said:
Hey..at least they are researching the old threads!! ^^^ [thumbsup]

Wahoo..if I get over to Europe next year, I'm planning to buy in Bologna and ride to whatever country my job is in!! [thumbsup]
Oz is a long ride from Italy... ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do not get angry the answer is a bit long but I like to give out all the info.
The tour are all inclusive with individual use of monster S4Rs S2R 1000 Multistrada or Hipermothard
tickets to Mugello Motogp special Dainese helmet to use etc...
The cost is Euro 4,200.00 sorry about the exchange rate is not my doing.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
And how many days would that be?

What if one went the Fly Buy Ride Route?

Do you get to keep the Daineese Helmet? You say use it , like I get to use a used helmet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the tour is 6 days
we are still deciding if we are going to start the fly ride buy programm but we were thinking in the line of 1000.00 usd discount.
We are friends and close with Dainese so the helmets are new and because of the huge discount our guest are buying and keeping the helmet so as of now we do not have any used one.
Hope this is helpfull, this informations are for the Mugello MotoGP but we have other tour available .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts